Thread: Making Maps on Linux

Post Making Maps on Linux

Hello all,
    I've been looking for a group of people like this for a while. I'm currently using Ubuntu Linux at home and need to find a piece of software that works well for creating fantasy maps. I'm decent with GIMP and familiar with Inkscape, but I was wondering if you guys might have a better software package to suggest. I'd like to lean towards using open source software where possible.

Thanks,
    Will

Hi, Will--and welcome. Make sure to post an intro in the "members introduction" threads so we can formally shake your hand and slap you on the back as you walk in the door!

I think if you know GIMP/Inkscape you need look no further for a cartography app. Check out the tutorials in the "tutorials" threads and you'll see the amazing output that program can achieve (especially see RobA's new GIMP tutorial!!!). The combo of Inkscape for vector creation/layout, then GIMP for finishing is also extremely useful. And, of course, all open source!!!!

Take care
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Hi Will -

Glad you followed my suggestion and came to check out the site. Like I said you will find a bit on inkscape here, just use search.

Not many people have done full maps in inkscape, but many here use them for outlines, roads, etc with post work in Gimp.

A couple of posts that might interest you:
    An offsite tutorial on drawing islands with inkscape
    My last challenge entry using inkscape
    Featured map of Heva made partially(?) in inkscape
    Unfinished canal city (must get back to that...) in inkscape
    Working on map basics with inkscape

and a few others. If you have any specific questions ask them, as I love trying to figure out how to do things in different applications.

-Rob A>