Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: software suggestions

Default software suggestions

hey everyone, as this is my first post i'll give some background.
    I think the idea of creating an entire world from scratch is cool and a while ago i decided to do it someday. I want to get very detailed and realistic with my world (like Nemo Ramjet's Snaiad for those who know it). I also have an idea for a SciFi book/possible series i am thinking about writing (not for publishing im not that good) to get some ideas stuck in my head out. I am a hopeless incapable drawer so most of my work will be on my comp or commissioned out. i want to make a very realistic map of my world (including things like plate tectonics) i have some free programs on my computer to help with this. the one i think seems the coolest is also the one i understand the least; Wilbur. Are there any tutorials on the features of this program? the ones i have seen seem to be for different versions. also are there any good climate simulators out there i want to see what the weather would be like, the only thing is that my planet orbits a red dwarf star and is tidally locked to it. any materials i should have (be they programs, books etc.)?
    thanks,
    Kyle

I'd recommend GIMP for starters. I don't know much about Wilbur, but RobA has some awesome, easy tutorials for GIMP.

What are the other programs (besides Wilbur) you have? So far, I've only been using GIMP, but I'd like to learn about other programs. As for the climate simulators, I'd be interested to hear what others say about that as well.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

If you decide to use Wilbur - the developer is a fairly regular poster here, so any questions you may have should get answered in a relatively timely fashion.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I'm not familiar with any software that produces realistic climate data, but there are a few resources available to help you through it. The most accessible is probably the Climate Cookbook.

For Wilbur, I'm assuming you are referring to the tutorials here: http://www.ridgenet.net/~jslayton/tutorials.pdf ?

And, like the climate issue, I'm not aware of any applications that will simulate tectonic activity. I'd love to see one, though!
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

There are at least three tutorials called Fun With Wilbur here but they're really buried deep in the vaults. I use those three tuts when I play with Wilbur. The guy who created Wilbur is Waldronate (member name) and he made the tuts and is always around. For tectonics and climate I (and most others) just make it up as we go since, as Mid said, there aren't any freely available programs to simulate such things. All you can do is read up on such subjects and then apply a liberal dash of "who cares it's my world".
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Or not read up, and add a large dump of "who cares it's my world". That is the one I prefer.

Um, yeah... What they said. The Fun With Wilbur series is also available from the main Wilbur download page accessible from http://www.ridgenet.net/~jslayton/software.html.

The Wilbur documentation, tutorials, and program all tend to be a bit out of sync. There used to be a Wilbur mailing list, but I've decided to officially abandon it after Yahoo!'s last change to their terms of service/login process. It got about one e-mail a year so there's no point in putting up with the endless Yahoo! and spammer aggravation.

A little searching may turn up links to Dave Allen's tec, clim, and/or World Builder software. tec is a tectonics simulator, clim is a climate simulator, and World Builder is a piece of software that merges the two and adds some other features.

i downloaded world builder 1.3 (i think) but it doesnt seem to work. whan i run the app i get a gray window. does any one have any idea how to fix it?

The title World Builder is very popular out there. The software that Dave Allen did by that name was distributed 10+ years ago from his web site (long since defunct). Where did you get the product that's causing you troubles?

i got it from another forum where some one asked about it and some one else posted the link

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast