Thread: First Photoshop map

Guild Novice

Wip First Photoshop map

I've been mapping for awhile, but this is my first attempt with using Photoshop. I was inspired by the excellent tutorial by Pasis to create a more photo realistic regional map. This is my home brew world I am going to use for an upcoming Pathfinder game. It is still a work in progress. I need to put in a good texture for the ocean and I'd like to find a good grassland texture for the area above the desert at the bottom. I haven't finished labeling it either. Any critique, comments or suggestions are most welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mappyWIP.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	155.8 KB 
ID:	26912  
    Last edited by Mappy McGee; 07-11-2010 at 09:01 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I don't think that you need to anything with it really. Looks pretty good.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I don't think that you need to anything with it really. Looks pretty good.
    Agreed; I think if you just label them as 'grasslands of ---' or 'Steppe of ---' it would be just fine. I think if you add too much more texture to the land it'll look over-cluttered.

As for the sea, maybe just a very light parchment pattern?

Very nice work overall, and I like the shape. Repped!

Very nice, Diamond already beat me to the ocean, it just seems a little bland right now. Pasis' tut came with an ocean texture that he used that should work fine here, but its entirely up to you. Nice work.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Guild Novice

Default How?

I for one would like to know how you made those mountains... hmmmm???

Ploppy son of Ploppy

Hi Ploppy, the mountains are from Pasis' tutorial. McGee, I agree with the others that the map doesn't need a grassland texture, but if you do want one, then one of the best I've seen is 'Just Add Bison' from the free Genetica viewer download (some other good ones in there too). Also take a look in the 'Mapping Elements' section at the sticky on land and see textures, you'll find more in there. Great work!

There are a few of the labels (notably the mountains and the valley) that are a little difficult to read. Otherwise, wow! I'm impressed!
    -÷-÷-÷-÷-÷-÷
    “It is not down in any map; true places never are.” (Herman Melville)

“A good map is both a useful tool and a magic carpet to far away places." (unknown)

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

This turned out quite nice, don't think the ocean really needs a texture, but it won't hurt it either.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Novice

Thank you all for the comments. I think you are right about the grasslands. What about the desert texture, is that too much? I don't want it to be too cluttered. The water looks a bit flat to me, but the original texture I used repeated too much. And yes, big Kudos to Pasis for the tut on mountains.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I think the desert looks fine; it's exactly the right blend with the rest of the textures IMO. I think if you go any lighter than that it wouldn't look near as nice.

I love Pasis' mountains tut also; it's been the basis for the mts in several of my maps. It's easy to use, clean, and you can vary it quite a lot to get some interesting effects.