Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: City of Caennyas

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Map City of Caennyas

A commission I made for the avalanche project http://www.cycles-rpg.com/ . The city of Caennyas.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Caennyas final.jpg 
Views:	2741 
Size:	3.04 MB 
ID:	26921  

Cool map. I like the layout with the two city levels and also the visual difference with the roof colors.

Really cool map! I like the hand drawn style, reminds me of 16c. maps. However is it just me, but how do you get from the lower city to the Higher city? WOuld they have to go out and around?

Jim

Very nice style, and colors. I really like the cliff and the separation between the two areas. How do the folks get back and forth between the two? Rope and grappling hooks? Baskets on a pulley system! Also, I wonder why the wall doesn't go all around the upper city?
    -÷-÷-÷-÷-÷-÷
    “It is not down in any map; true places never are.” (Herman Melville)

“A good map is both a useful tool and a magic carpet to far away places." (unknown)

Did you draw it in Inkscape or in Photoshop? I often have difficulty getting nice clean lines like that in photoshop.

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Thank you all!
    I used an existing map as base for this new one. There is indeed only one road leading from the lower city to the higher city. As well as the 'cut off' town walls.

@Larb: The map is hand drawn with a black fine liner (0,1) on DIN A4 paper, scanned, cleaned up in PS, traced in Illustrator and then coloured in PS again. For the trees I used the clone stamp tool.
    Last edited by Sapiento; 07-13-2010 at 04:20 AM.

Another wonderful work by Sapiento--could anyone be surprised? The map has a really nice, rough, 'authentic' vibe to it. Well worthy of rep, which I shall provide immediately.

Very, very nice map. As stated before I love this isometric look for city maps.
    I am left wondering though why there's a large refugee camp behind stone walls. That would almost indicate the camp has been there for ages and needed protection.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Low city was the original location of the entirity of Caennyas. Several years(decades?) ago, a virulent plague swept the city, many of the homes were burnt to the ground in an effort both stave off the plague as well as dispose of the bodies. In the mean time, nobles and rich merchants resettled on the cliff above the city( which as once the purvue of a local lord who died without an heir(thus the castle ruins)).

Work has continued on the walls surrounding the upper city slowly due to limited labor. Recently, a disaster struck and people retreated to Caennyas and are now part of the refugee encampments.

umm hows that?
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast