Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need help improving map for this game!

Wow thanks it's great stuff. I managed to improve considerably the map so far. I cleaned up the meridians and exceeding islands, cleaned up the edges (although it needs refining) and added a nice background. Now i need to see if i can add some effect for the sea. I am also concerned with the pixelisation of the land. Is there any effect to improve the quality of it without affecting it too much?
    Here is what i have done so far. (Sorry, i keep using google.sites)

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

the problem is when a picture is allready pixelated, it hard to do anything about it except scaling down - that sharpens the lines. Your current map is about 6000 pixels wide - that would mean that in an offset printer you could print it at 20 inches, you'd see some of the pixelation, but some would disappear in ink-bleed. If you want a map that you can print in huge sizes, the best way to go would be vector graphics, ie Illustrator or Ink...something (free). Then you can scale as you want to
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Hi there!

Thanks for all the tips so far. I will see what i can do about the pixelisation of the land texture, perhaps throw an artistic effect. So far i managed to clean up the map and i created a border for the sea-line. Although i am not sure about the colour of the latter.
    Latest update.

Thanks, keep the tips coming!

Well this is it, i finished my new map. I'm quite happy with it
    See map here.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

the waterborders are very thick and blurry - I'd make those in the same style as the land borders, but perhaps with another type of dots or a different lenght of lines/gaps
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Yes, agreed! I'm working on that.
    Also i'd like to curve the region names in areas where it looks somehow rigid. But i don't know how to write on a path with GIMP. Do you have any idea?

You can do it in GIMP, but you're better off saving the file importing to Inkscape or other vector app. Text on a curve is much easier not using GIMP.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Blog Entries

I second that. Import a jpg or png into Inkscape. Once you get the hang of how it works it is way easier to manipulate text labels and then you can export it as a png and put it back into your raster program.

Well despite your advices i used GIMP to produce text to path. It was a bit convoluted but it's fine for me now.
    I managed to improve the map very much so far, and i still like to hear your comments, tips. Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eurasia2.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	2.07 MB 
ID:	27143  

Blog Entries

This is the first I've seen your map, sorry I don't look at outside links very often. Have some rep. And kudos for sticking with GIMP for the labeling, it does work it's just frustrating.

@Quabbe - After seeing your water example I am going to have to incorporate it into my map of Linlandia. I knew the technique but for some reason didn't consider it until seeing it just now.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast