Thread: ARA board game map

Default ARA board game map

This has been my first attempt ever at drawing a map/working with any kind of graphic design software. I ended up using GIMP (because it was free) and liked the result. This map is for playtesting purposes, so that we could expand our audience. I figured I'd load it up here and see what you guys think (plus when I was asking for help some requested I posted the final )

I'm not sure how this attaching files thing works in the final post, but I think I got it right!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ARApaint.jpg 
Views:	1044 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	27507  

Funny, but you misspelled "badgers". There is no such thing as "a dice"; it should be "a die".

As to the board layout, it looks workable. I would want to smooth those curves on the outside track, however. I also think a little more color variation on the land masses would make the board more interesting. The borders and numbering are clear. The straight border lines will look better if vertical or horizontal rather than slightly off. For example, look at the uppermost yellow border line. There's no reason for it to not be horizontal, which would get rid of the "jaggies" it is suffering.

Thanks for the spell check and critiques! I am hoping to be able to smooth out the track curves and the suggestion on the sea zones is helpful. For the land mass color, I'm not extremely worried, as I will be leaving that type of thing up to the final artwork artist to decide, but if you have any suggestions for a good palette for a radiated wasteland of a planet please let me know!

Guild Adept Facebook Connected timallen's Avatar

Looks like a nice functional game map to me. I like the water texture. I've been looking for a good texture for like that water or oceans for a while now.

Thanks timallen thats what I was shooting for! That texture is simply a cloud noise overlay in GIMP, very useful in my short experience