Thread: Bleeding Ink in Photoshop

Default Bleeding Ink in Photoshop

A real quickie this: I was looking at different effects to get text to appear like it has 'bled' into paper using photoshop. Usually I just use a very small amount of outer glow with some noise in the outer glow layerstyle menu but that tends to thicken the text. Another way is to use the splatter brush on very low settings and then fade the effect (Edit/Fade) which gives a sharper result. If you want to sharpen it more, use the unsharp mask filter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bt.jpg 
Views:	1190 
Size:	113.8 KB 
ID:	26928  

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

very nice.. I'll just throw two in there
    The first I use a different color in the outline effect to make i more "inky" - the other simply uses a blurred version of the text ... but on most maps, I myself do prefer the crispy cleanliness of the non-blurred-inky letters

Name:	ink-bleeding.jpg 
Views:	1400 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	26929  
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Blog Entries

@RobA: I'll have to try that. I've been using Gidde's method, but this seems easier. I am thinking about writing a script fu of her ink bleed method, but am bogged down in the scripting language.

Blog Entries

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bleeding text.jpg 
Views:	1033 
Size:	312.0 KB 
ID:	27027

Using regular plasma (turbulance 1) with an offset of 20 in both directions. The question I had was that I couldn't seem to select the plasma layer for displacement until I had merged the text with the parchment background. I wonder if it has something to do with having transparency in the layer you are trying to displace. The mostly transparent levels only select themselves for displacement with no other options. Am I doing something wrong? The font is STXingkai for those interested.

Quote Originally Posted by hohum View Post

Name:	bleeding text.jpg 
Views:	1033 
Size:	312.0 KB 
ID:	27027

Using regular plasma (turbulance 1) with an offset of 20 in both directions. The question I had was that I couldn't seem to select the plasma layer for displacement until I had merged the text with the parchment background. I wonder if it has something to do with having transparency in the layer you are trying to displace. The mostly transparent levels only select themselves for displacement with no other options. Am I doing something wrong? The font is STXingkai for those interested.
    The displacement layers available must be the same size as the layer you are trying to displace, so you have to enlarge the text layer to the full image size first (right click and enlarge layer to image)

BTW - the water ripple script I've been working on in the other thread can do the same as this!

-Rob A>

Blog Entries

Thanks RobA, made all the difference. (Oops, the text bleed I did with the water rippler is huge, I'll edit this post after I fix that.) The upshot for me is that I prefer doing the Displace manually right now. I couldn't figure out how to get it to match with the rippler.

[EDIT-

Name:	water ripple bleed1.jpg 
Views:	548 
Size:	370.8 KB 
ID:	27142

The top line is settings 0.5, 5, 5 and the Bottom line is settings 0.5, 5, 1 if I remember correctly. As I mentioned, I don't think it came out as nice as the strait up manual displacement. ]
    Last edited by hohum; 07-16-2010 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Normal size image added

Hey, this is helpful considering I asked something related to this in a recent "How Do I" thread. +Rep.

I would just add to the aforementioned that if you use the Photoshop Outer Glow method, setting the mode of the glow effect to Color Burn or Linear Burn gives the bleed a nice antique look. I've also experimented with "eating away" at the letterform using Inner Glow. Rasterize the text, set Fill to 0%, apply Inner Glow with settings as shown. The Choke and Size sliders should stay at or near 0, and fiddling with the Range slider should then destroy more or less of the letterform, depending on your taste. In the example shown, the Inner Glow layer sits on top of a layer with Mode:Linear Burn, on which the text was colored dark brown and blurred.

Name:	Picture 6.png 
Views:	702 
Size:	150.4 KB 
ID:	27183