Thread: Cenedlyser

Default Cenedlyser

Hey everyone,

Here is my latest creation, the Autonomous Region of Cenedlyser. It's an approximately 18,500 sq. mile republic on a collaborative conworld named Atoria that a group of us are developing. It has its own language, Cendlese, which I have developed to compliment the region. Spent about 8 hours on this map all told, but I am very pleased with the way it has turned out. I'm not 100% done with it, but all that's left is probably some more depth in terms of terrain naming and some polishing up. I will also be adding rail networks, but I haven't yet decided on the scope of them, so I left them out.

What do you guys think? Comments, criticisms, critiques are always welcome!

Take care.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cen main.png 
Views:	118 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	27006  
    Scott
    American by birth. Shaelic by choice
    Current projects: The Kingdom of Shaelia & The Republic of Clairone

I wrote a novel . . . and published it! Click here & check it out

Do you ever get down on your knees and thank God that you know me and have access to my dementia?
    ~ George Costanza

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks very atlasy but the lines looks too crisp. Maybe blur them .3 or maybe try some different colors. Instead of red try orange-red, and green-blue for blue. I dunno, looks pretty close but something is just a little bit off. Far better than I can do in this style, though.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

It looks pretty good! I agree with Ascension though, the lines could do with a bit of blurring.

Here's a question. Why does the country have so many exclaves? That's really unusual! I feel like it could have some interesting history behind it.

Looking good! What program did you use?

Blurring would obviously be helpful. Also, the colors seem a little harsh. I wonder if some darker versions of those colors would look better, or if the blurring would help.

The exclaves are interesting. Four would be a lot for one country to manage, unless the neighboring countries are exceptionally friendly.

EDIT: As usual, Ascension provides good advice. I tested out the orange-red and green-blue in the places he suggested, and while I didn't get the colors perfect, it seemed to be on the right track.
    Last edited by Seretur; 07-15-2010 at 01:21 AM.

Thanks for all the feedback, guys! I appreciate it!

I am using Paint Shop Pro 9 to make the map.

About the enclaves - Cenedlyser is actually part of a large nation, called the Republic of Shaelia. It's one of 10 autonomous regions in the country, essentially independent in most things but foreign relations, military, and a few other areas reserved for the national government. The enclaves used to be part of a truly independent Kingdom of Cenedlyser. About 200 years ago, the two crowns (Shaelia and Cenedlyser) joined via marriage and have been together ever since. There is a lot of history in those 200 years that I won't get into here, but Cenedlyser was sort of punished by Shaelia when the area was restructured and most of the land you see in Masion was taken away from it. It was left with four enclaves, mostly because the people there demanded to remain part of Cenedlyser and not be absorbed in the new administrative region of Masion. Most of that area is still heavily Cendlese, is Cendlese speaking, and is politically active to be rejoined with Cenedlyser.

Below is an updated version of the Cenedlyser map. I blurred the roads, highways, rivers, and border outlined and softened some of the colors. I think it looks better, but I'd like some more knowledgeable opinions. This is my first attempt at this kind of style and I'm really not sure what I'm doing The border outline, in particular, is giving me fits, and I'm not happy with the way it looks and will keep experimenting.

Take care.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cen atlas.png 
Views:	112 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	27022  
    Scott
    American by birth. Shaelic by choice
    Current projects: The Kingdom of Shaelia & The Republic of Clairone

I wrote a novel . . . and published it! Click here & check it out

Do you ever get down on your knees and thank God that you know me and have access to my dementia?
    ~ George Costanza

The blurring definitely helped. I'd suggest giving the blue line along the coast the same treatment. It's still a bit sharp, and in some parts (Olysyjabá is one) pixelated.