Thread: Giving GIMP a Spin-WIP

Guild Novice

Default Giving GIMP a Spin-WIP

Well I began this pretty little project and was working along when GIMP decided to seize up on me. I was getting ready to flesh out the deserts.

Now I have to restart from creating the Land Mask. But I've increased the tile cache so I should be good and now I know to save a regular intervals.

But I've been following RobA's tutorial and things are going quite well!

I had that happen to me once and lost a bunch of stuff. I try to save more regular and take notice the moment my pc starts to become sluggish. Also, clearing out the "undo history" from time to time seems to really help. I haven't had this happen in a while now but sometimes it bogs down and I have to give it a few minutes to finish something. Whenever that happens I save/exit/restart the program. I may need an upgrade to do this stuff even though I used to play a lot of video games on this machine so it's not a wimp. Sorry for your loss but keep up the good work.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Novice

Got back to where I was...

Guild Novice

However my first attempt at mountains was a bit uh... wrong, something seems wrong here.

Gonna give it another try...

The ridge along the edge can be fixed with Alpha to Selection, Shrink 3-6px, Invert, Delete. There's probably a better way, but not that I know of. Many people don't like that style of mountains. Try the other one he links to in his tut. It's a bit more complicated, but it looks better if you do it right.

Guild Novice

Cool thanks, I'll give both ways a try and see what looks better...

Blog Entries

Also I think you have the dimple gradient backwards so that it looks like a valley instead of a ridge line. Just invert the direction of the gradient fill.

Indeed. I didn't catch that one.

So were you using the linked method?

Guild Novice

Yeah the one that he links over to another thread. Personally I like the look its more natural, just finding out how to get it to work for me is the difficulty...

I didn't get time to mess with it today so I'll give it another shot tomorrow.

So if you were using the linked method, you need to invert the angular fill gradient so that white is in the center, like hohum said. Just follow the instructions more closely in general. What it looks like now is how the method RobA dictates in the actual tutorial looks, just hard-lighted.