Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: July 2010 Entry : The Solur Nexedifice of Kharaghan

Post July 2010 Entry : The Solur Nexedifice of Kharaghan

This is a long shot. I'm doing this thing in 3D in POVRay to see what I, and it, can achieve. I'm also experimenting with another sort of challenge someone posted about how to map a building on a cliff side. Heck, go for broke, why not??!!

It might be a tad tricky to pull it off and I'm not sure how exactly I'm gonna present the final version so that it qualifies as a map worthy of even being here. So why put it here?
    Well, because the rules say so, but mainly to make sure I do it! By going public I'm kinda gonna look like a complete screwup if I don't at least complete most of it.

It took me a few days to summon the wotsit to do this and I only started yesterday, so ---- when's the last date for modifications????? Erm, 26th??

Anyway - The Temple of Light is a Solur Nexedfice in the Desert of (somewhere hot sounding)... erm... Kharaghan. (It'll do.)
    This ancient volcanic plug tabletop hill rises over 200m over the surrounding desert plains, and its core material attracts the sun's energy with a major intensity, especially when reinforced by the Nexomantic Incantations of the Solur Munks who maintain, operate and distribute the energy collected via the Nexus Maze.
    The Munkhaven has been carved into the living rock about halfway up the sides where it is shielded from the intensity of the Solur Lance that is focussed by the Solurium Nexus Edifice itself (the currently invisble thing on the top!)
    The rest, well it's all Nexomantics and highly secret.

Anyway - here's a side angle view. I've created a height_field (several hours with PSP X and Wilbur (thanx Waldronate, good prog!)) and I've put in the main foundations for the Munkhaven - they'll probably repaint these later!

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nexedifice 001.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	437.1 KB 
ID:	26946

Did I do this right??
    --
    "I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man"

My Finished Stuff
    ............. Some of my 3D Stuff (POVRay)

Interesting approach, so this is a cliffside community with a single street on the inside. Will there be towers to high levels or just the single street/ledge level?

Nice to see someone new get in on the Challenges! Good luck. (Yeah, the 26th should be the final day, though it gets delayed sometimes...)

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

I'd hate people to think I went into this with any significant plan !!
    The "street" is more likely to be a "path" and it will be at the cliff edge side of these foundations, with ballustrade, and steps between levels. The red end is the more "mundane" part of the complex, kitchens and so forth. It'll have an overhanging goods lift to the ground. Obviously no properly Solurly pious person would use it, they would use the access path!
    The purple end will be the "religious" end, and would be the entrance to the access tunnel to the Nexus Edifice itself. The Green area will be mainly clear "garden" space for meditation. "Garden" in so far as sun worshippers in a desert might deem suitable.... hrm.
    --
    "I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man"

My Finished Stuff

Blog Entries

Sweet. Ness... Sweetness. And light!
    ----------
    My Deviant Art Map Gallery

Ok, the lads have been out with the paint brushes and the Health and Safety Majixians have erected safety barriers.
    Looks like they're clocking off for the evening.
    Bit of a close-up.
    ### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Nexedifice 002.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	421.1 KB 
ID:	26952
    Last edited by Crayons; 07-12-2010 at 08:41 PM. Reason: attachment issues
    --

My Finished Stuff

Blog Entries

Wonderful stuff!
    ----------
    My Deviant Art Map Gallery

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Very cool!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

love the detail close-up! I really look forward to seeing how it turns out
    Something witty and pithy

OK, the builders have been in. Bit of mud and adobe here, some tiling there. Even the rare piece of wood!
    Erm, I'm not sure how big the images I post here as WIP can be, but these are bigger ones but I've converted them to jpgs to try and keep the size down.
    Apart from adding the buildings (some of which are randomly generated and might get tidied up a bit) I've also worked on the terrain. For the localised area of this "town" I can now "carve" the cliff face, which is what I've tried experimentally with the beginnings of a cloister on the "garden" level to the right. If I can, I think I'll make the stairs to the top of the hill this way.
    As with much that I do in life, this thing is evolving as I do it - and GamerPrinter's question about levels has had me thinking along those lines too. In addition, when I replied that the path would be along the cliff edge when he asked about it being on the "inside" - the positioning of the steps means that the path sort of meanders through the middle, which I like.
    The colour scheme is currently very "deserty" for all the logical reasons - I'm hoping to add in some "colour" later with rooftop paraphenalia (sunshades, clothes lines perhaps.)
    I've also generated a form of "map" mode - an above view - to see how it pans out and see if my path actually goes anywhere. There's some stairs that need shunting around a bit...
    Oh, the wood platforms for the "goods lifts" had to have a "mezzanine" since the drop isn't vertical. Also the "wood" texture is just a placeholder for now, proper planks will be along eventually.
    More later...
    ### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	Nexedifice 003.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	26969 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nexus map 001.jpg 
Views:	357 
Size:	1,012.1 KB 
ID:	26970
    --

My Finished Stuff

I like how this is turning out! Have some REP for doing such a nice job on your first map challenge entry here at the guild.

And don't worry about how fast I map, it's just a graphics work habit working alone in my own company, unless I work at a high rate of speed, I never get anything done - so its what I do. In fact five or six days is a longtime for me, usually most maps are measured in four hours or less, sometimes 2 days if I need to work on some detail that couldn't be done in one sitting. Six days for me is like forever!

As Jaxillion replied to your post in my entry thread, nobody works as a fast as I do, nobody.

You're doing fine.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast