Thread: Very ambitious world map needed

Guild Novice

Default Very ambitious world map needed

Fee
    • Paid. Negotiable via e-mail at: brainpolish--at--gmail.com
    Time Constraints
    • By the end of 2010.
    Style
    • I am looking for an atlas style ("orbital" or “satellite view”) map similar to http://www.greatdreams.com/dinotopia_map.jpg or http://sapiento.daportfolio.com/gallery/204016#16
    Description of Map
    • This is a color, physical (no labels, borders, ect.) world map of two (or three, depending on how you count them) continents. The scale is approx 1”=500 miles. Oceans colored to show depth, landforms colored to show degrees of vegetation, rivers, mountains/mountain ranges (orbital view preferred). Much of the map is done (coastlines, vegetation distribution, ocean depths, etc.) but in need of artistic enhancement. Mountains need the most work. Can send you a file or two if you sign a NDA.
    Quality & Size
    • The quality must be sufficient for fine art repro. The map is 15,300x12,900 pixels (@300ppi). Yes, it's large.
    Copyright
    • I will have copyright of the map
    Last edited by Ploppy; 07-12-2010 at 04:45 PM.

So, did you contact Sapiento, who is a regular on this forum?
    Looks like you dig his maps.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Sounds like an cool project. Sapiento is one of the best for Atlas style, as is Ascension. I dunno how available they are to do commissions though, but they'd be good people to ask.

As a side note, the artist retails "copyright" of their work--I think you're looking for something more like "exclusive usage rights."

An artist need not retain any copyright. However, an outright sale of full copyright, rather than a limited license, is generally more expensive than a limited rights purchase. Depending on how ambitious the OP's plans for this world are, he might be willing to pay the additional cost to own the map outright.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I know Sapiento takes commisions - but he might not have time - but try it.. you can find him here http://sapiento.deviantart.com/

and rdanhenry is absolutly right, but I do think that RE has touched on the "normal" side of things - that normally clients will only pay for "exclusive usage rights" leaving the actual copyright in the artists hands. Price can also be an issue in what a client can use the image for. Sometime you might just get paid for a single use in a single publication, sometimes for unlimited use in what-ever the client wants
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

I had already contact with Ploppy. I let you know the outcome.

Guild Novice

I want ALL rights except limited portfolio use.

You have to work that out with Sapiento. If much of the map is already made, then that may be reasonable, but if you expect him to come up with shapes, names, etc in addition to making the map look nice, then he might want to retain copyright.

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Seretur View Post
    You have to work that out with Sapiento. If much of the map is already made, then that may be reasonable, but if you expect him to come up with shapes, names, etc in addition to making the map look nice, then he might want to retain copyright.
    I was making it known to all who might be interested in the project that I want ALL rights. Of course I will work out details of any contract with any artist I decide to use.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ploppy View Post
    I want ALL rights except limited portfolio use.
    The polite frasing would be something like: "I would want to retain all rights to the map" ... and what does "limited" portfolio use mean - either its in your portfolio or not
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast