Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: idea - A general 'world-building' subforum?

Default idea - A general 'world-building' subforum?

Anyone else think it would be a nice idea to have a sub-forum dedicated to peoples own personal world-building efforts? I guess it would depend primarily on how many people on this forum have their own world-building projects, although I would presume at least some people do.
    I guess the main reason I ask is because i've been searching the web for a community of world-builders who like to share, talk about, and critique eachothers efforts. I found a few but they all seem small and relatively inactive. I could imagine it working well on this website, as the activities of world-building and mapping are quite obviously very closely linked, the co-operative world building project is evidence enough of that.
    Anyway I thought I would throw that out there just to see what the general consensus is.
    and no n00b-bashing plz : P

Seems like a neat idea to me. It would be cool to track people's long-term progress from making a global map to fleshing out individual cities, then particular battle maps... A lot of the content would probably fall outside of the "mapping" purview though: lore, characters, quests, etc. I also don't know how many people actually do huge in depth projects like this though, so I'm not sure how active such a sub-forum would be.

We have discussed this in the past, and decided to only host the CWBP worldbuilding/mapping effort here. The focus of the site is mapping and while digressions are fine, we don't want to dilute the focus. It is the same reason we don't have a forum for fiction writers to post/discuss their writing efforts.

-Rob A>

Ooooh Ooooh, a Noob - Let me find my Rep club and club him like a baby seal for having an idea

It's a good idea and while I would be one of those who does his own world building I can see it being a lot of content that has little to do with mapping. I think I would agree with the decision already on the table to abstain from it at this point. This is firstly a maps place. Not everyone here comes for the fantasy game world side of things.

Have you checked the Obsidian Portal it might offer a little of what you are talking about?

Oh, and I am gonna give you a rep clubbing for having a decent idea.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

What about just having a stickied post where people could post links to their world-building sites?

What's the Obsidian Portal?

So glad you asked Seretur. The Obsidian Portal is a host site that allows you to create your own wiki-based campaign site to keep track of all of your campaign info, including adventure logs, NPC's, Maps, forums, and whatever else you want to throw in. I'm a big advocate of the Portal as I feel it allows players and DM's to network more easily and keep track of campaign info. If you are interested in seeing an example of what can be done with the Portal, check the campaign link in my signature.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

By the way, I second Diamond's suggestion.

hey thanks for the replies folks! I think RobA is probably right anyway, and Diamons idea of a sticky to post world-building stuff in sounds good to me. all those in agreement say I!

I don't have my world building site but it is a good ideas so I say "I".

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast