Thread: Hoping to create a short list of major mapping styles

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Hoping to create a short list of major mapping styles

So, whenever people put up commissions on the mapmaking request board, they often request that prospective artists send a couple examples in the requested style. While there are of course almost an infinite number of styles, I would guess that there are a few major ones which keep popping up. I'd love to make a relatively comprehensive list for myself and others, in case they want to create an example in each style. If you can think of any others that belong on this list, I'd be interested in adding them!

Scale:
    Regional map (world/continent) -- 1 inch = variable (are there any standards?)
    City map -- 1 inch = variable (?)
    Battle map/encounter map -- 1 inch = 5 feet

Artistic styles:
    Many of these can be broken down further under a few categories:

Perspective: ISO and Aerial are the most popular, though there are probably lots in between, though less practical for, say, RPG mapping.
    Image format: Raster (GIMP or PhotoShop), vector (Illustrator and Inkscape), and hand-drawn (pencil, ink, blood from a pricked finger)

There will also be some subcategories, I imagine. I will add notes where I think they will be beneficial.

Atlas style: As the name implies, looks like it is taken directly from a atlas.
    Satellite-view: maximum realism on a very large scale.
    Tolkien-esque: mountains and trees tend to be drawn in ISO, generally grayscale, often on a parchment background.
    Helicopter-View: More heavily textured and colorful than Satellite-view, often with some disregard for scale in order to capture more depth and highlighting features and landforms.
    Cartoony: These can be cartoony to greater or lesser degrees, but almost always feature a heavy stroke.
    3D computer generated

Medieval style: looks like it has been lifted from an illuminated manuscript or an original illustrates Chaucer volume
    I'd love to add to this, or link to specific maps that are the finest examples of each style, if anyone has any input. I also might set links to the best specific tutorials for each, when I have more time and have done more research.
    Last edited by RecklessEnthusiasm; 07-24-2010 at 06:43 AM.