Thread: Dropbox??

Guild Novice

Default Dropbox??

hey guys, just wondering if anyone has any experience with Dropbox?

I was wondering, once i have uploaded a file to dropbox, how do I post It this site... so people can view it?

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I use dropbox, and I love it. What I generally do is upload a small version of the image to the forum, and then put the high-res version on dropbox. Once you have it in dropbox, you can click the little arrow next to the file, and (as long as it's in your public folder) one of the options is "Copy public link" ... which you can then paste directly into your post.

Yep, dropbox is great. Just keep in mind that there are limits to how much you can upload (I think it's 2GB for a free account, so it will hold quite a few maps), so it's good to at least have a low-res version on the forum as Gidde said, and then you can link to a hi-res version on dropbox. That way if you ever need to clean out your public dropbox folder, at least there is still something on the page here to look at - you know, for posterity or whatever.
    FantasyMapMaker.com - free fantasy maps for commercial or personal use ~ Campaign Cartographer 3 Review

Guild Novice

But like if it post a link to DB on the site will people be able to view it?

Yes, thats the entire point of the Public folder. Anything in there that you give the explicit link for is available to all to see. There is also an option to "share" from other folders, however, these require you to name people and for said people to authentication to be able to see the contents of the folder. Not sure how it works, but I assume it is for sharing between other Drop box users(ie, thats the user you select to "share" with).
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Novice

Awsome then !!!

Yes, we'll be able to view it, but only after clicking on the link. But it's still a good idea to embed a low-res version in the post - that way we can see a thumbnail (assuming the thumbnail function starts working properly) and then click the dropbox link to see the map in all its hi-res glory.
    FantasyMapMaker.com - free fantasy maps for commercial or personal use ~ Campaign Cartographer 3 Review

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    There is also an option to "share" from other folders, however, these require you to name people and for said people to authentication to be able to see the contents of the folder. Not sure how it works, but I assume it is for sharing between other Drop box users(ie, thats the user you select to "share" with).
    Yes, the shared folder is available to other users of Dropbox. They may log in to the website to view, download, or upload files, and if they have the client installed on their own computer, any changes to the shared folder will by synced to their local Dropbox folder. I use it frequently to collaborate on group projects at school.

Whenever possible, we do prefer you to use the attachment feature here rather than simply linking to a file. This prevents links from being broken when someone clears old files from their Dropbox or web server, and it also automatically generates a thumbnail (usually).

As far as I am aware, there is not yet an issue with storage space. I'm sure Arcana will let us know if that changes.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name