Thread: Battlemaps? What would you expect?

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Help Battlemaps? What would you expect?

I have for some time now the idea to produce a bundle of tactical/battle maps which I could place on rpgnow.com and drivethroughrpg.com etc.

What would you expect from such maps? What would you convince to spend a few bucks to get this bundle?

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

love battlemaps ... but what would I expect... well, from you - only the best
    they could pretty much contain any setting - but what I like are elements that makes the players go round/up/under ... bridges, cliffs, bushes, rocks, pits - something that makes the combat more fun and challenging. And playing 4e I always like room to move about and perhaps some hazards you can push/slide people into
    working on my own series at the moment http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ht=battle+city I'm believe that making battle maps is what I like best
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Creating a bundled battlemap product would require simplicity and re-usability. Simplicity = each battle map is a square that fits onto almost every piece of standard printer paper and can be used in many different directions effectively (5x5, 6x6, 7x7, or 8x8 are all nice sizes). Generic artwork on them is nice and nothing too ink heavy (light background colors). Offering additional options in sizes, types of maps, theme elements, etc is always nice and continues the life of each subsequent bundle in the product line. We would buy something like that.
    Dolmen Creative - www.dolmen-studios.com
    Come face your destiny... Destiny6 Roleplaying Game

One word: modular

Make sure they all can be used to together, and used in different ways, to maximize the buyer's interest and perceived value.
    This means seamless textures and transitional pieces.

When I used to buy battlemaps and dungeon tiles (make my own now), I bought from the brands that offered the greatest versatility in what I could create using their products, even if I liked the artwork less.

Battle maps require re-useability. So things that I can use in a game over and over again. Things like: River crossings, Forest Trails/roads. Campsites, City Markets, Barroom/Taverns/Small Inn. While I am sure there can be others, those should give you an idea.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave