Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Fuzzy Caterpillar" Victorian Mountain Brushes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default "Fuzzy Caterpillar" Victorian Mountain Brushes

Hi,

I'm pretty new to the forum and have been soaking up techniques for antique-style mapping. One thing I hadn't found yet was a good set of Photoshop brushes for simulating Victorian-style hachure mountains, so I decided to make my own. These are sampled from images found at the Perry-Castañeda Maps Collection, mostly maps of Texas from 1830-1840. Also, they were made in Photoshop CS3, in case that makes a difference.

A variety of styles are represented. For the one-sided "cliff face" styles, note that the direction you draw the stroke determines which direction the elevation faces; it might take some getting used to.

Let me know if there are any problems with the brushes. And generally speaking, thanks to everybody here for creating a great learning resource!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Bill Hooks; 07-15-2010 at 07:53 PM. Reason: typos and readability

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Thanks for posting! Could you by any chance add a sample image? Plz? I have a map in progress that this might be useful for, but as I'm lacking in latent talent, I need something that tells me how it's *supposed* to look when you use them

Sure, let me see -- here's a couple of different styles on an island map. The first one shows the eroded cliff style brush, and the second one shows the skinny ridge brush along with some buttes. One thing I'm noticing is that while the brushes do okay with laying out "sausage strings" of mountains, if you want to get precise placement you're probably going to have to nudge some of your mountains by hand. In the case of the long peninsular "tail" of my island, some of the things I did were:

1. Using the lasso to select mountains that ended up in the wrong place, and using Free Transform to nudge and rotate them until they lined up correctly.
    2. Painting a few different types of buttes and mountains in a clump, then using the eraser, also set to one of the butte shapes, to randomly "eat into" the clump and make it look a little less computery.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	island-ridges.jpg 
Views:	932 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	27105
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	island-mountains.jpg 
Views:	896 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	27104

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

This looks pretty handy so I'll have to test drive 'em.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    This looks pretty handy so I'll have to test drive 'em.
    Your antique style tutorial was a major inspiration, so I'll be pleased if you like the brushes!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Thanks a ton! Rep coming your way from me; I'll definitely have to try these for that map.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Cool stuff, thanks for posting!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Yoink!!! (sound of swiping files for nefarious purposes) Have some rep.

For what it's worth, this is what I used these brushes for. It was originally intended to be a clean, usable gameplay tool with a bit of antique flavor, but with all the techniques I've been picking up on this website, I ended up throwing the kitchen sink at it (or words to that effect). At some point, I'll probably wind up splitting it into two projects, a gameplay one and a "looks" one. (No hurry though, as it's still in the daydreaming stage.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zal-zind-flat.jpg 
Views:	856 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	27178  

Cool brushes. I'll have to try them out.

Quabbe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast