Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wargame map (Battletech, 6 mm games)

Yes, I've done that way, unwrapping the UV coordinates to image, then ading texture in photoshop. As for folding, the model must be very simple, instead it would be a pain to build it. So no zillion polygons allowed) I've done like that in the first images I posted, those structures were just simple blocks with images aplied. Theese buildings really stand out, rather than painted on the map in 2d. With terrain it is a little more complicated. For example for Battletech, there is no need in 3d landscape, just plain maps and hexes. But to make realistic image for the battleground, that's the question №1)

1. to draw it by hand, as detailed as possible, untill it looks like a concept art for Star Wars movie
    2. Discover some secret techniques in photoshop, which will make life more easier and still look good

The first thing is, I need just to get rid of my lazyness and get to work) If you like, I'll post the image with my artwork - illustration to a Battletech novel, and thats the style I was talking about. Long and a bit boring process.

And thanks for replies!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_ Мародер_ copy15.jpg 
Views:	440 
Size:	142.1 KB 
ID:	27154  

Default the hills look great

Quote Originally Posted by Whitar View Post
    Hi everybody!

I was lurking in the nets to fing some good advices of creating battlefield maps and terrain in Photoshop, close to "eupean" style boardgames. Actually, there are no good tutorials I found, so I needed to figure something out by myself (I work as a graphics designer) First atempts were very lack of skill and not so detailed and well drawn as the mentioned above analog. I'll post some of my maps and scale buildings here, please share me some tips how to improve my work and make it way better.

I use Adobe Photoshop CS3, Autodesk 3ds Max 2009, Corel X3, Bryce 5.5 and tonns of textures

Thanks!
    Hi, great work. I was particularly interested in your photo titled ykt, which show the top view of the hills. Can you explain how you achieved this effect or point me in a direction of a good tutorial? thanks.

Hi! Sure, it was not hard to do if you are a user of 3ds Max. Firs of all you must draw a height map in photoshop, where your levels will be a gradient from black or grey (low relief) to white (heights) You can make it as detailes as you like. Than you save it as .jpeg, create a plane in 3ds Max that matches the scale of our image and apply the displace modifier. It fits rightly, and you can adjust the raising strength and many othe parameters. Next step is to texture and render. You can look for Height maps in googleif you like. Here are some I found http://springrts.com http://www.pxleyes.com/tutorial/vue/...t_Map_Tutorial

thanks, those were very helpfull

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12