Thread: City maker?

Carlo

Default City maker?

I want a map to make cities, but something easy like the city designer that profantasy sells. I don't want to pay for the program, but if there is no other way i'll pay.

So i just want that you tell me what are the programs to make cities easly, you can write all the programs you know, but say if i need to pay or not.

Thanks, and sorry if you cannot understand something, my english its really bad today =(

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Try this... hopefully the link is still valid.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected JoeyD473's Avatar

Yu could also try auto realm, it is similar to CC3 but lacks many of the symbols, and lacks all of the tools

Quote Originally Posted by Carlo View Post
    I want a map to make cities, but something easy like the city designer that profantasy sells. I don't want to pay for the program, but if there is no other way i'll pay.

So i just want that you tell me what are the programs to make cities easly, you can write all the programs you know, but say if i need to pay or not.

Thanks, and sorry if you cannot understand something, my english its really bad today =(

In my experience good looking city maps are hard to make. I have searched for a way to make nice city maps easily, it seems that you have to put in some hard work.

There are some who make use of the random city generator, and apply GIMP (free) or PhotoShop (not free) filters to jazz it up. If you like the results then maybe this is the way to go. Or you could try Ascencion's "fastest town in the west" tutorial. Personally, I am not a fan of this style, but it is A LOT easier than placing buildings by hand.

City Designer 3 can produce very nice maps, but not so easy to learn. Also many people (myself included) find it crashes when you have a lot of buildings. For me it is worth the money, but if I was a poor student I might not think so.

Do you want to make maps showing indivdual buildings, or just city blocks? If you just want to street directory style maps, you can do that quite well in GIMP or PS.
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

Carlo

Well thanks you for the answers.

I'm using the one Steel General said and the autorealm, i'm still thinking what is better.

@Aval: Yeah, thats the problem some cities i want to show just the city blocks, others (like a capital city) i want to show individual buildngs and whatelse.

I'm saving some money so maybe i can buy the CD3 on the next month.

Thanks again, and a nice week,