Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Temple of Guinness (dnd 4e)

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

So it looks to me like those side areas might not get used - unless it's by your skirmisher angels. Can the Exarch handle toe to toe combat - because it looks like he'll be standing right in front of your chained god trying to keep the fighter away. With a reach of 4, he could use a bit more space than this room gives him perhaps?

Guild Member

The party consists of a Feylock, an Earth Warden, a melee warlord, a ranged cleric, a fighter and a druid who moves in and out of melee. The Feylock will use the side areas and the cleric may as well, which should then split some of the enemies which should then split some of the other party members.

The Exarch is built for toe to toe combat. His main reach 4 attack pulls people in.

Okay, that sounds good. You might want to throw in some pillars for cover, or some difficult terrain, but otherwise that looks good.

For the actual mapping - what graphics program will you be using?

Guild Member

I started with this map, over the other ones for two reasons. The part has had a sneak peak of this area already. The layout has been established and a taste of combat has occurred on it. The other reason is that it is the simplest, when it comes to traps, hazards and terrain. Its all about the combat.

So what are the red and orange circles?

Guild Member

Yeah, had to cut that last post short.

The red circles are where the circle of flame is present near the ceiling. The orange circles are magical torches. The large circles represent where the light falls from each source.

I'd suggest pulling those back a bit. At the moment those orange semi-circles are very dominant. Perhaps a light yellow set to soft light with another layer in very light yellow as the edge of the torchlit area. That should show all the different torch areas without getting in the way of other information.

As this is the top level, it would seem sensible to remove all the flagstones that are outside the outer wall?

Guild Member

The flagstones outside the wall, serve as the roof of the second level. While in theory, I should have no need of them, I actually already did. Thats how the party got that taste of combat here already. Instead of going through the main entrance in the last session, they flew to the top and blew a hole in the wall. They got thoroughly trashed by the exarch and his allies. One PC and one NPC even died.

They've decided to go back and start at the main entrance.

Yeah, I was unhappy with the light. It was a little double rainbow. Ill play with it.

Perhaps just lighten it up and give it a sharper edge? For the flagstones outside I'd make them lighter to show that they're outside. That should give a nice visual cue as to what's going on.

Guild Member

Did some more work on the top level. I think I'll jump down to the first floor now. This was all done in gimp, so when I run it, i'll be looking at the image with removable layers and drawing it on the Paizo flip map. Final dimensions were 18 x 20 or 90 ft by 100 ft.

You can see the bottom layer of the ship there, down now just in case. The front bottom opens up like a space ship. Theres a mast in the bottom two layers but not on top, because it wasn't originally an airship.

New torches and lightened outside. Very minimal detail work on the chained god. If anyone wants this, I use a template to get the original grid, to make sure I'm working in the dimensions I need for the map. There's a hidden layer that numbers the gird for pbp play.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast