• Evil Necromancer Tower - by tilt

1 4.00%
  • Pit of the thing that should not be - by Xyl

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *** June / July Lite Challenge Voting - Many Levels of Evil ***

Blog Entries

Default *** June / July Lite Challenge Voting - Many Levels of Evil ***

Roll up, roll up... its voting time once again and this month has many levels of excellence from a set of 6 entrants. Under the normal convention of 1 vote per 5 entries, this month you will have just the ONE vote.

To remind ourselves of the direction:
    This month's June/July challenge is to map a multi-storey villain's lair. This could be anything from the classic necromancer's tower, to a many leveled zeppelin or flying castle. The only requirement is that it have more than one level and that it be used for nefarious purposes. This should be detailed enough to use as a reference for combat encounters but it is not required to be at a large enough scale to be printed out for use as a battlemap.
    You can find the thumbnails here. Please read through the threads as well as looking at the final image.

Remember to rep your favorite entries & good luck to all the entrants.

Voted for Aval's Vampire Lair. Honorable mention to Katto's Arnofor. Soul Hunter...that just sounds evil. Nice work everyone.
    M

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Great competion again this time. I had two favorites of the good entries... aval and katto. I loved the ship and story that Katto delievered and I love the handdrawn style. Aval used a lot dundjinni elements which in my book draws a bit down but they were used good and his drawing had such a great ambience that he had to get my vote this time.
    Xyll had a great idea and people who see this, please remember to check his thread for the other levels of the dungeon.
    Loved juggs setting too - a lot of bearers got lost on that expedition
    And good job StillCypher starting so late in the competion and still managing to produce a home of goods in such a short time.. less than 7 days - right?
    All had good entries, and I'm looking forward to picking up the glove for the next one allready, and that one I plan to finish
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

My vote went to Aval for two reasons - dark n moody (I loves me some dark n moody) and I like the names for the various rooms. Juggie's looks like the best DnD type layout which, I think, is very accessible - my runner-up. Katto's shoe-boat looks beautiful but also too perfect...but I could never do that. Tilt's tower suffers from the same too perfectness...no ambiance (I loves me some ambiance). Still's cloud manse is fabolus and looks like the place where I want to live but it doesn't seem evil to me so dark n moody wins out for me.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

@Tilt: "Sacrificing minions, is there any problem it cannot solve..." - Order of the Stick.

Thanks for the mentions Tilt & Ascension. I was actually basically unable to work on it past that point because my laptop bounced in and out of repairs because of a cracked case... I'm glad to keep on getting the mentions. One of these days I might take out the prize.
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

Aval got my vote too--just the right level of dark and moody. It looks like a great local to stage a game of DnD, or a twisted version of Clue! Katto's Soulhunter was my 2nd choice too, but it looked a little too uniform in color and texture for my taste.

Juggernaut got my vote. The layout is nice and with the corresponding text a one page adventure. It is a good example for creating an evil atmosphere with a few sentences and the map leaves enough space for own imagination.
    Aval's and StillCypher's maps have a good layout, but are too colorful for my taste.
    Tilt had a good start, but also a lot of work with so many levels. Please finish the tower!

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Katto, thanks and I will - I actually need it for a campaign that's why I made it a 6000x6000 pixels pr map - so It'll print nice a 1" squares
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

After some thought and staring, I voted for Katto. Aval's lair, while potentially skill-superior felt less 'functional' mostly due tothe heaviness of the darkness in the basement. Katto's felt like I could use it.
    Still feels better to see one vote to my name.
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

I voted for Katto's Soul Hunter. I can imagine using it in a game quite easily and it had an interesting story.

I like the map from Jugger a lot too. Also quite usable and interesting.

Tilt got off to a good start (again) but ran out of time (again)

StillCypher did a great job in a short space of time, but it didn't feel 'evil'

Xyl , I guess got too busy to finish also.

I acknowledge Tilt's comment that my map relies fairly heavily on 3rd party components, but I knew that would never get it finished otherwise.
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast