Thread: Heartland - World Map done in Corel Photo-Paint 15

Wip Heartland - World Map done in Corel Photo-Paint 15

Someone recommended I post this map here as a WIP and after looking over it today have decided to fix and expand upon this sample I made while following a tutorial for Corel Photo-Paint.
    It was just to be a test to follow along with, but a mistake caused me to have black shapes appear around some parts of the islands. In order to try and cover this up I placed my mountain ranges around the edges mostly, which gave this map a unique look and feel. For some reason grid lines appeared that shouldn't be there and my mountain ranges did cover all of the black spots. Since the main island resembles a heart I decided to call this one "Heartland".

I will be turning this sample map into a complete work to experiment with and just for fun.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SampleMap.png 
Views:	1452 
Size:	907.0 KB 
ID:	27165

Quote Originally Posted by LordJR View Post
    For some reason grid lines appeared that shouldn't be there and my mountain ranges did cover all of the black spots.
    I'm going to assume you meant didn't, until told otherwise...

With the exception of the black lines crisscrossing the map, and the black splotches on the mountains, it looks good. The mountains on the coast are kinda cool, even if not entirely geologically feasible. The map itself could be a bit bigger. Take some rep (what little I have to offer) for your first map.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I like this; you could have all kinds of cool explanations for the reason the mountains are where they are - maybe the gods put them there to protect folks from the deadly poisonous seas that are the domains of other, evil gods. Sea travel could be very rare, or non-existent; maybe people get from one landmass to another by airship, or not at all. Maybe other lands are just half-remembered myths...

As for the map itself, yeah, I agree with Seretur, I'd like to see a bigger version. As for those black spots on the mountains, maybe you could turn them into ginormous volcanos or something.

Haven't worked on this map again since I created, due to working I'm doing on Agrobathe my primary project. But I did find out the reason for the lines. They come from a lighting texture included as part of the 3D effect->Bevel tool. The texture basically has 4 squares and texture on each square. The lines are from the lines going in a cross in the center of the texture. Ugh.. wish I had known about that before I did the bevel. At least now I know it's there in Corel Photo-Paint. Others beware of this when using Effect Tools->3D->Bevel.