Thread: Making Elevation Levels Discernable and Readable

Help Making Elevation Levels Discernable and Readable

There it is. I want to find an easy to way to define elevation levels on the map, such as slopes and straight rises.

And yes, this is the halo map 'blood gulch' in table top grid form (I took the image from google). It's for a halo arena I'm planning.

So, help?

Blog Entries

I'll take a stab at this. It took me a while to figure out what I was looking at, but I think I see it now. You basically have a ridge surrounding this valley (hence the name gulch). The best way that I know of to incorporate 3 dimensions into a 2d game board were those done for ASL (Advanced Squad Leader) and other such wargames. Different height elements were color coded into Levels 1-3 generally, more if needed. So different shades of brown for each level in height of a hill. Then buildings were given a height level depending on their size. So things like trees and shacks would be level 1 etc. Then you would have the hex center (you will have to mark square grid center) marked with a dot and use a card or a string to trace line of site. I believe also the crests of ridges were marked down as a LOS (Line of Site) obstacle.

So the short of it is you need to draw layers of your different levels etc onto this map.