Thread: Ok so its my first time WIP

Help Ok so its my first time WIP

I hope im not violating an rules by posting the new rendition of my previous map i posted recently i kinda wanted to get away from that earth mirror look in a way and i wanted some ocean to play in
    but i finally got some tools,photoshop CS5,Campaign Cartographer pro, and i got the demo of FT pro (ill buy it when i get my check)
    ok but i have some questions now im posting after i have looked in the tutorials but i don't exactly understand how to so im a noob not an excuse but im just hoping someone can beter explain it but i have some general questions

1.how can i make the coastlines realistic i dont like that ballpoint pin look
    2. is it posible to import a handrawn map to FT pro cuz when i tried all it did was make a white ball so im not sure if i have to make it in CC3 pro
    3.if so can i import cc3 pro maps to FT pro
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	soan 2.0.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	263.8 KB 
ID:	27175  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I can't answer questions 2 or 3 but I can give ya some pointers in Photoshop. Your coastlines look fine, by the way. First, scan your drawing . Duplicate the drawing layer. Image - adjustments - Brightness/Contrast = set the contrast to max. Image - Adjustments = Desaturate (this removes any stray colors). Now zoom in and make sure that all of the lines connect, we don't want any gaps...this could take a while. Grab the Magic Wand tool and click once in the ocean to make a selection of it. Select - Inverse. Make a new layer and grab the Paint Can/Flood fill tool and click once to fill the new layer with white. Select - Deselect. You now have your continents on their own layer. If the whole layer fills with white then you have gaps somewhere. If you want a more jagged coastline then there are lots of tuts to follow but here's what I do: New layer filled with black; move it under the continents layer; merge the continents layer down; Filter - Pixellate - Crystallize = 12; repeat but with 9 then 6 then 3; Image - Adjustments - Brightness/Contrast = contrast to max; Select - Color Range = black, hit the delete key then deselect. Now you have jaggy coasts on their own layer.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I'd say test it with the Magic Wand to start with. No sense in examining the lines so minutely if there's such an easy way to test them! A lot of times the "marching ants" will even show you where the breaks are.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Doh! Good point, Mid.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

thanks both of you for replying ok so far i have followed your instructions plugged up those holes up and did everything but i cannot find pixalate anywhere

o wait found it ok so does this look about right?

Name:	soan3.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	249.2 KB 
ID:	27189  

Here's what I got. The first pic shows that I did the contrast max, filled in the gaps, desaturated it, selected the ocean, new layer, fill with black, then hand colored the lakes, merged down, pixellate crystallize at 12 then 6 then 3, then max the contrast again. The second pic I selected color range = white, new layer, filled with white, 1 pixel black inner stroke. New layer, moved it under the landmasses, then fill that with white.

Name:	soan a.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	423.5 KB 
ID:	27190   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	soan b.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	444.8 KB 
ID:	27191  
    Last edited by Ascension; 07-18-2010 at 06:15 PM.

OOO i see thank you sir