Thread: Hi there!

Default Hi there!

Hello everyone! I'm a new enthusiast and will be putting forth my best efforts to post what maps I can. Unfortunately, I come across mostly grid maps. I have no idea how to remove the grids. I would love to create my own maps but I have yet to find a map builder that is easy to use. Any ideas? I usually just find pdf maps, screen shot them and then jpg them through paint. I'm pretty new at this and I'm doing it to host a D&D Forgotten Realms campaign with some old WoW buddies through Battlegrounds RPG Tabletop Software. I'll have a look through the forums to see what I can dig up.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Welcome to the Guild!

Post Greetings!

Hey Rusty, Welcome to the guild!

You should try using GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) to make maps if you don't have Photoshop. GIMP is entirely free and you can make so many different mapping styles with it. If you make or install brushes, making a map in GIMP can be "easy" (easier and faster than not having brushes any way). There are also several downloadable scripts for GIMP.

There are many tutorials on how to use GIMP on and off the guild. Two great GIMP tutorials are RobA's tut on "Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map" or Gidde's tut on "Hand-Drawn Mapping (for the Artistically Challenged)".

You can download GIMP here.

Happy mapping,
    Gallifreyan

p.s. Checkout the "Quickstart Guide to Fantasy Mapping"
    Last edited by Gallifreyan; 07-17-2010 at 10:46 PM. Reason: I added a p.s.
    Induite vos armaturam Dei
    Ephesians 6:11

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave