Thread: World of Midera WIP

Default World of Midera WIP

Okay. As stated in my intro post, I'm very new at any form of digital art. I'm also a perfectionist to a certain degree. I am using CC3 to make not one, but a string of several maps. Each map is part of the same world. I know this is a huge project in the making, and will take a very long time to get right, but I have nothing but time and patience on my hands. So please, I am really in need of guidance to get my world to look the way I want it to.

Now, here's the style I want to use. LINK. If possible, I'd love to get my hands on the symbols and such that Bohunk used, and possibly some symbol that could represent a desert, or would that simply be denoted via text? In any case, this is what I'd like the finished product to come out like. While a full color map would be nice, I feel that this style fits the fantasy setting I have in mind better.

I'm having trouble with the sheer size of the first map. This map is supposed to have very few details on it due to the scale it would take. Only large mountain ranges and forests, key rivers, inland seas, and large-ish islands should appear. Midera is 15,000 miles wide by 12,000 miles tall, and I found that after making the island continents, they looked too jagged and blocky, especially the smaller islands trailing off the coast along the mountain belts. Granted, I was using the default landmass creator button, but if there's a better way to make bumpy, realistic coast-lines, I'd love to hear about it.

The next issue I'll have to tackle is once I have the continents made for the world map, I'll want continental maps. Is there an easy way for me to make the continent be exactly the same from the larger picture to a smaller, individualized map, such as being able to save only part of the image, or would I have to get a program like GIMP (because I'm working exclusively out of CC3 at the moment) and copy the part I want to work on onto a new piece and go from there?

Other than that, those are my chief questions at the moment. I have an extremely early rough draft of the map done as of now, having only the basic landmasses, the major mountain belts, one desert, and a few smaller islands being done. I know it isn't too pretty now, but it's the result of about 15 minutes of work, and is still completely subject to improvement.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Midera.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	121.2 KB 
ID:	27181  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

There are several tutorials available here about randomizing the coastlines of your map.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.