Thread: Make a border that matches my map scale?

Blog Entries

Default Make a border that matches my map scale?

Hi all, I feel really dumb right now, but I can't seem to figure out how to make a black and white alternating rectangle border in GIMP.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Don't feel dumb, I went through a lot of grief when I made my first one. The key is the checkerboard (Filters -> Render -> Pattern -> Checkerboard). Then it's just a matter of sizing the checkerboard boxes so that everything lines up nice for your border. Then a layer mask that covers everything but a strip around the edge of your map and voila! you have black and white alternating rectangles

//Edit: You'll save yourself a TON of aforementioned grief if you do this first, rather than last

Blog Entries

Thanks Gidde, I had fooled around with it a little. I thought that there must be an easier way.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Not that I've found, but I think I tend to do things the hard way anyhow

I either use checkerboard with masking (as Gidde stated) or I make the rectangular selection and do a patterned stroke. It depends on the size of rectangles needed.

-Rob A>

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I hand make rectangles then copy and paste them to fit each map. I tried patterns a long time ago but that wasn't always reliable as the pattern gets offset. So I make a black rectangle, copy/paste it into a new layer, invert the color, move it over, merge. Copy/paste that and so on. Using the 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64 multiplying thing the copy/paste goes rather fast.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps