Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Admiria - My First "Real" Mapping Endeavor

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I don't know how you'd do this except by hand but the curvy, calligraphic lines of the mountains don't match the solid pixellated line of the coast...a calligraphic line has thin and thick parts and smooth curves while your coastline is one width. If you have the time you can make them match but if you don't have the time then so be it, it's not that bad, just something my eye catches.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

If I understand correctly, I have redo my coast? I made my current coast by stroking the selection back when the land was white and ocean was black. Any tips on making calligraphic lines for my coast? Or do you think that I should use a different brush for the mountains?

Also, while editing my mountains I realized that the shading was different at some parts, I'll fix that now.
    Induite vos armaturam Dei
    Ephesians 6:11

If you have a tablet then you can use that instead of using a real calligraphy pen...make a new layer and just trace around the coast varying the pressure to get thick and thin parts on the line. Of course, if you don't have a tablet then just leave it because otherwise you could spend days zooming in real close and using a small eraser to erase bits of the lines. Or if someone has time they can do it for ya then post it back up.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Unfortunately, I do not have a tablet. Do think that bolding the coast more would help? I could easily do that and then "file" away at some parts with the eraser tool. That would still take some time but I think it would be shorter than redoing the coast.

A fatter coastline would help or you could use this quickie coastline I drew for ya.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenie.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	27815  

Wow, thanks Ascension! It looks marvelous! I really like the "inky" feel to it.

Wip Update

Here is the latest update: I used the coast that Ascension made (thanks Ascension), changed the mountains so that the shading was in the proper direction, and added some mountains and hills. I also put a the texture that I intend to use (later it will have a slightly different color though) and some weathering. I made the texture by playing around with filters.

As always, comments and critiques are welcome.

edit: I got the splatter and coffee ring brushes from deviantART.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP 5.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	2.41 MB 
ID:	27920  
    Last edited by Gallifreyan; 08-08-2010 at 05:02 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12