Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Admiria - My First "Real" Mapping Endeavor

Wip Admiria - My First "Real" Mapping Endeavor

Hey everyone! This is my first serious attempt at a map. I first got the idea of the continent's shape a few years ago. After a lot of morphing (with intermediate forms) it turned into this. After some fiddling I decided that I do not want two continents, so I morphed the two contents together and came up with this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gallifreyan WIP 1.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	255.8 KB 
ID:	27217

The working title of the continent is Admiria. Do you like it or do think I should change it?

I will post updates every time a major feature is added so that I can have your input. I will post again once I randomized the coastline. Tips, suggestions, and criticisms are welcome and very much appreciated.

-Gallifreyan
    Last edited by Gallifreyan; 07-19-2010 at 11:03 PM.
    Induite vos armaturam Dei
    Ephesians 6:11

Wip Realist Coast

I made the coastlines more realistic with Old Guy's Tutorial, afterwords I ran an edge detect, and then I cleaned up the coast a little bit.

I am going to do mountains next. I would like to thank Gidde for the tutorial on how to do hand-drawn map for artistically challenged people (like me).

### LATEST WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gallifreyan WIP 2.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	334.3 KB 
ID:	27219  
    Last edited by Gallifreyan; 07-20-2010 at 12:32 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

looks like a good start - like the shape.. concerning the name well "Admire" is rather close to "Admiria" so you risk people thinking that
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Purely a personal choice here, but I might either take out the D or the M - Amiria or Adiria - or rearrange the letters - Armidia, Damiria, Madiria. When I come up with names that's how I do it...put some letters together and then test it out by saying it out loud to see if it sounds good. Admiria sounds good but has the flaw that Tilt mentioned. Maybe change the M to an N, lots of options but you're the only one who can decide.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thanks for your input.

I have been think for a new name and came up with "Aiperia". I got it from the Greek word "ipeiros", which means "continent".

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks catchy.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Default Update

I added some (not all) of my mountains and put "rings" around my coast. I snagged the mountain brushes from deviantArt. And I would like to thank hohum and Juggernaut1981 for their help on how to do the "ring" effect on my coastline.

Here is my latest WIP of my map of "Aiperia".

Name:	Gallifreyan WIP3.png 
Views:	220 
Size:	642.8 KB 
ID:	27316  
    Last edited by Gallifreyan; 07-22-2010 at 10:52 PM.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Looking pretty nice so far. And the mountains you chose suit the style so far. Nice!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Enjoying the progression of this one so far.

Wip

The mountain placement seemed a little bit odd to me so I have been fiddling around with the map (mainly trying to figure out the tectonic plates and looking at it from different angles). While experimenting on the map I flipped it around and decided that I like it. Since the last update I flipped the land and placed a mountain range.

Sorry that it has been awhile since my last update, I did not have much free time the last two weeks. But hopefully I will have some next week.

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	Gallifreyan WIP 4.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	27736  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast