Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why can't I get the pattern fill to work properly?

Blog Entries

Whichever you are more comfortable with.

Ok, here's the image I'm trying to take the mountains from:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	land.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	27984

Ah OK, I see the problem. If you want to use mountain symbols like that using a pattern fill is not the way to go for a variety of reasons: you'll end up with bits of mountain being 'cut off' at the pattern edge (which looks horrible) and you'll have no real control over the direction in which the 'spine' of the mountains run. Much better to use the clone-stamp tool, (or Gimp equivalent) and place mountain symbols individually. You will find a few good mountain symbols in the 'mapping elements' section already drawn for you, so you could just use those and not have to draw your own. If you are keen on having the brown undercoat, then just do that separately on a layer beneath the mountain layer.

p.s. It's really helpful to us if you put the software you're using under your avatar (see mine to the left) as we can immediately see what software you are using without having to read the entire thread. You can insert the information by going to the 'settings' button at the top right of the screen.

Yikes! Adding them in individually would be a lot of work. Though I suppose not too bad once I outlined the area for the mountains. Is there a simple method for making the ranges look good? The outline of them I mean, where I would clone all the mountains into. Thanks for the tip about the software issue, I've added that to my profile.

Blog Entries

Hi Jared, I think I can get something out of this image you posted. I'm just starting to get a lot of side stuff as my kids are starting school next week. But I'll have a go at it.

Hi Jared, you don't need to draw them one by one. Just download the pre-made ones from the Mapping Elements forum and use the image hose tool in Gimp to spray them on the page! I don't use Gimp so you'll have to get someone who does to help you along a bit. This thread may help a bit.

Blog Entries

Just an update Jared. I made a pipe of the three volcanoes and set up to make two more pipes of 12 each mountains and hills. I just didn't find the time to trace them yet. I can also give you a tutorial if you need one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12