Thread: [WIP] Making a map usable for roleplaying

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default [WIP] Making a map usable for roleplaying

Hello again, fellow cartographers

After some silence (and a few nasty exams), I'm back to mapping again. Holidays are such a great invention.

This time, I'll try something new. I want to change an already existing map into something more useful. So I'm not primarily concerning about the look of the map rather than features such as:
    - easily printable (good resolution, b/w)
    - clear contrasts
    - enough space to make notes

Checking the picture in the attachment- it's a pretty little map that shows me everything I (as gamemaster) want to know. But I don't want my players to say "Oh, there's a violet house over there, it must be interesting, let's go there!"
    Plus, distinct houses could come in quite handy if the asked where exactly a certain NPC lived. And they would allow me to show which areas are more densely populated than others and so on.

I'll give it a go by removing colours, drawing single houses and so on. I'd be glad if someone with more experience in low-style black&white maps could give me some advice!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails valenea_map_fertig3.psd.pdf  
    Now that the warm fuzzy part is over we can get back to the ritual dismemberments. Oh wait, it's not Tuesday is it?