Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How does one use a Battlemap?

Over on the MapTools forums Plothos one of the forum members was working on this. However, RL and the constant grind of updating his macros/framework, he stopped. He made me a really nice Warforged Warden when I was playing 4E with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    I would use a VTT and projector if I could but I also like rolling real dice and using minis. You can photo your minis and put them in as tokens in the VTT and then you get to use your minis in 2D but with the scale and shift advantage of a VTT. Thats also an option if your coming across a lot of goblins or orcs and you need to put more down than you have painted. Maybe someone should create a thread of mini photos top down & side view for use in VTT battle maps.
    One guy over on the Maptools forum posted some pics of his set up. Basically, he used Maptool with a top down projector and then build up Styrofoam geomorphs(I think that is the right word) the the image would be projected onto and they then use real mini's. Quite frankly, it looked incredible in that format.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

I saw that it was a neat idea. Sort of made me think of someone getting 4 more projectors and doing the sides to them too... Part of me thinks tho that if your going to put blocks down then you might as well print card and stick to the top of them and use them like a normal raised up battle mat. Still its definitely is a good idea. There was this uber cool vid I saw a while back that I need to post if I can find the link where someone was doing shape recognition of stuff on a flat board using a projector and a web cam and then once it had figured out the 3D nature of the board it was projecting stuff down on to it based on the 3D... right - google skillz....

Here we are...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgrGjJUBF_I

Now look at 3 mins in to see the basics and then 3:50 or so with the car to really see how the blocks could be used. Ok bit overkill but with a little battery and some wifi or IR or something simple you could get all sorts of blank blocks, build a castle or whatever using any blocks and then hit a button and shade it all digitally.

RedRobes, that was cool.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

that was really neat.. but I want projectors IN my car to change colors when needed (like after a bank heist *lol*)
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

I bet it could be done with Leds tilt.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Perhaps you know of this project. If you have got the space it would be a nice thing to have. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PghNU-5PEPg
    http://www.ultimatelcdgamingtable.blogspot.com/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123