Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WIP - New World

Default WIP - New World

Well, I've tried making this map in OLD style. Like in Tolkien LOTR, using tutorials. What do you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	saved 2.png 
Views:	159 
Size:	2.89 MB 
ID:	27264  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Just two things - the rivers go from ocean to ocean and that doesn't happen (unless you're falling back on the old "it's magic") and the black text might look better with just a bit of brown...not too much just a bit to lighten it.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Um, well, okay. it's magic I guess. Seriously? I didn't know that. I mean, why?

Gravity. Or for a more extended answer, go here and read this: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...he-right-place

The simple answer is physics - there's no way that water could flow downhill in both directions at the same time. For water to flow from ocean to ocean one of the oceans would have to be higher than the other ocean and that's just not possible. If there were canals and locks then that's a man-made interference and not natural but that way does work quite well.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Thanks. Haven't though about this really. I'll have to make few tweaks.

Now, I've always been a little confused on that point. Those don't have to be rivers, do they? A small strip of ocean, perhaps. They could just be really really close together islands, couldn't they?

Yeah, that's the gray area...really close-together landmasses. In those cases I make sure that the coastlines don't follow the same shape...I put in some fat parts and thin parts.

Okay. I've changed the map a little bit.

I've deleted some river parts and changed a few so they won't go from ocean to ocean.
    I've also changed the forest and mountains look.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	saved 2.png 
Views:	90 
Size:	2.90 MB 
ID:	27296  

Professional Artist

Um, you still have rivers going from ocean to ocean all over the place.

I would just remove the rivers entirely if I were you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast