Thread: How do i put words on a map?

Help How do i put words on a map?

this is probably a really stupid question. but how do i put words on a map?

I'm moving this to the 'How do I' section.

Not a stupid question at all. What software are you using?

If you have no real preferences software wise, I'd recommend that you download inskcape (free to use), import your map in that. Make a new layer and use the text tool and start typing away. You can rotate the text, put it on a curve, alter the colours etc. It's by far the easiest way to do it in my experience and it's very easy to edit.

thanks i'm going to download inkscape now

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I've seen a lot of folks singing Inkscape's praises; is it really that much better than just using Photoshop's text tools? Is it worth downloading if I already have/use PS?

Blog Entries

I don't know about PS but, once you get the hang of the interface, it is easier than the text tools in GIMP. The main problem in GIMP is that each text box is its own layer. With Inkscape they are just objects within whatever layer you put them in. And it's free.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

I used Illustrator on a few maps when adding text, and comparatively speaking, unless the text labels number more than 2 dozen or so (the 2 maps I used it with had 200+ labels) the text tools in PS worked just fine for me.

Your mileage may vary though. Might be worth taking a shot just to see.. it *is* very nice being able to directly select the text instead of digging through the layers when you need to make adjustments. I solved that issue by grouping my text layers into Features/Town names/City names etc and breaking them down into either further groups of quadrants or something similar so I can find them easier.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

GIMP can do some very funky things when you try to put text along curves or other non-straight lines. It gets worse if the curve isn't large enough to include the letters from your text-layer.

I like the separate layer-textbox aspect. You can move, edit, duplicate, and do other effects without the hassle of many many layers. Plus when you're done just merge them and it's all doable in bulk.
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Good to know; thanks fellas. I may have to check it out.

Just adding my 2 cents in that using Inkscape to do the lettering is WAY easier than trying to use Gimps text tools. Especially placing text on a pathway.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt