Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arnan - WIP

Guild Member Facebook Connected cjs0216's Avatar

Wip Arnan - WIP

This is my first post and first map. I started this map last year but only picked it back up a day or two ago. I started with Ascension's antique map tutorial (it had almost no color and an aging layer for the longest time), but ended up wanting to see what it would look like with color and really liking the results. I actually really messed the map up as I can't edit the layers anymore, but I have a backup copy at home I'm waiting for my wife to email me so I can work some more on it. As you can see, I tried to salvage it, but I can't get it to look right.

This is actually a worldbuilding project I have been working on for some years now and I think it's coming together nicely, especially when I can get the map fixed.

Anyways, that's enough rambling from me, any pointers you guys could give me while I wait for my backup copy?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arnan.gif 
Views:	118 
Size:	2.05 MB 
ID:	27279  

Your map is very good for a first one, I like the textures that you used. The only thing that I really have to comment on is the rivers. Several rivers are going form ocean to ocean, that is not supposed to happen. Rivers start when mountain snow melts or from excessive rainfall, then they will flow into a sea or ocean using the shortest and steepest route. (In a few cases, a river will flow into the ground or dry up completely before reaching another body of water.) Several rivers will merge together as one, but one river will never split up into several (unless it is man-made).

For more about rivers, you should see Redrobes' post on how to get your rivers in the right place.
    Last edited by Gallifreyan; 07-21-2010 at 06:44 PM.
    Induite vos armaturam Dei
    Ephesians 6:11

You've got several river violations if those blue lines are all rivers. Namely, you've got rivers running from ocean to ocean. I suggest you read up on rivers at this thread: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...he-right-place

Something's gone wrong in the lower right area of the map. Not just the mostly incomplete map label (and cartouche?), but there are two grid areas in which the texture of Talashara goes all wrong.

You've got a nice color scheme, and except as noted above, good-looking textures. Coastal borders look good; land borders still need work. Nice clean border for the map itself. I like the landmass shapes. The empty ocean to the right side is unbalancing the composition of the map, but I assume there will be some stuff going there, if only the name of the ocean.

I had read that article you both linked and fixing my rivers has been on my todo list for quite a while.

Something's gone wrong in the lower right area of the map. Not just the mostly incomplete map label (and cartouche?), but there are two grid areas in which the texture of Talashara goes all wrong.
    Yes, those are areas I had placed stuff for moving later when I could still edit layers. My thought was that I could salvage it by any means necessary, but obviously it didn't work out too well. Which is fine, because I want it to look as perfect as I can get it when I get done.

The empty ocean to the right side is unbalancing the composition of the map, but I assume there will be some stuff going there, if only the name of the ocean.
    Using Ascension's tut, the map was originally 2000x2000, but I found that I wanted to add a bit more information on some sort of legend than the original size allowed. That empty space won't be so empty when I get done.

Thanks to the both of you for checking my stuff out. I will work out the issues that you have pointed out.
    Last edited by cjs0216; 07-21-2010 at 06:18 PM. Reason: spelling

Map

My wife finally got me the original map I did following Ascension's tutorial. I think I fixed the river issue. Now I just need to figure out how I want mountains to look. I really didn't like the mountains in the tut (No offense Ascension), so I really need to figure that out. Also, I may go back to the colored image I first presented...Who knows...not me...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arnan.gif 
Views:	156 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	27346  
    Last edited by cjs0216; 07-23-2010 at 12:36 PM. Reason: ok...maybe I didn't fix the river issue yet :)
    "It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." -Jiddu Krishnamurti

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

This turned out quite nice.

I did a quick scan of the map and failed to find any obvious river errors.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Professional Artist

There are river errors in Libardi and also in the purple province.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

No worries on the mtns, I don't like the style either. Long ago someone asked how to make a map like the one he showed us so I went about recreating it...so the mtns were just me doing what had been done. As far as the map goes I'd put some light yellow orange into it as it looks kinda gray. The rivers violations are in south Arnan and the purple place, the westernmost river systems join together thus creating an ocean to ocean no no and the central river system has a loop around at the top.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Apart from the loop and the river split in the upper-west area, libradi, the only other violation I can see, which may be my eyes tricking me is on the border of the blue and green regions. You seem to have a river going from ocean to ocean which cannot happen, but again, that may be my eyes tricking me.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Apart from the loop and the river split in the upper-west area, libradi, the only other violation I can see, which may be my eyes tricking me is on the border of the blue and green regions. You seem to have a river going from ocean to ocean which cannot happen, but again, that may be my eyes tricking me.
    Your eyes weren't playing tricks, it's there and fixed now...thanks everyone!
    "It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." -Jiddu Krishnamurti

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast