Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: City Madness

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Aptly titled -- Madness!!
    the only things I can really see so far in terms of C&C is that in the (slums? low rent?) district with all the tiny houses, to the right of the city center, a lot of the buildings seem to be overlapping the roads at the moment.. and in the area right above it, some of the slivers don't look right. I'm guessing you've got some kind of procedural thing going on though, and that's why those issues are happening?

I'm having enough issues with doing the street layout and only adding major buildings, I can only guess how stressful this is for you
    Last edited by Coyotemax; 07-23-2010 at 08:30 AM.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    just in pillow-case (ho! ho!)
    Purely unintentional on my part
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

To quote my favourite cat "Most everyone is mad here", and that's why this guild rules. Very nice work so far, are you going to put it in colour and what program are using?

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Thanks all,

@Coyote: The area just above the city centre with all the tiny scattered houses on it is meant to be an area which is largely but not entirely derelict. It's been giving me nightmares to get right. I've botched it (as you can see) ... I think I'm going to have to revisit it.

@Lonewanderer: I'm using Serif Drawplus which continues to impress me no end. The intention is for it to be in greyscale, but I've been having problems in making the canals stand out. Depending on whether they are dark, midtone or light they get confused with the walls, the buildings or the roads. I've wimped out and made them blue for now. Another problems is that the canals were put in as an afterthought, after the roads were built so they don't look right. The roads should be following a parralel course to them with only the occasional bridge, and bridges almost always cross the water at a right angle (I assume bridges are expensive / difficult to build and you want to cross the least amount of water possible).

Anyway, I've solved the problem of the crashes...here's the next version. If you're interested you can see the layers and switch them on and off. In adobe pdf viewer go to View/Navigation Panels/Layers and it will bring up a window with all the layers in.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Is this a smaller version? Looks kinda crammed in at this size. Looks awesome but hard to see. Great job, nonetheless.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thanks BigA! Should be the same size as the previous ones.....it's in pdf so you should be able to zoom in as much as you want. It's created for print, rather than screen so the line widths don't really handle all that great using adobe reader.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Oh, I see. Tricky. I never zoom beyond 100% except in my own maps (cuz I make them at 200%) and normally most folks don't go beyond 100 either so now I gotta add you to my list
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

This has turned out great Ravs! I applaud you for taking on something I would find mind-numbingly difficult to finish.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Absolutely insane there Ravs....absolutely insane
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast