Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: July Entry: Dimensional Nexus

Default July Entry: Dimensional Nexus

Late as usual but to be honest I wasn't even sure if I was going to be able to finish anything on this. I'm still not done but oh well, the more the merrier in these challenges so I am going to toss in my version of a nexus point.

This ties in with my gaming world so it's more of a fantasy sci-fi all in one.

First of all, allow that dimensions are connected somewhat like the roots of a tree and where they are nearest to one another there are ways to cross between them. The location would be much like the Bermuda Triangle where all compass bearings are useless. In the middle of one such place is a black spire punching up through the stormy Sea. It is here mankind's greatest bane, the Drall, have found entry. Many Drall gave up their existence attempting to cross the Dimensional barrier but eventually the first of them arrived. That one set about building a bio-mechanical machine that intensified the connections between the dimensions while sending out a beacon for others to follow. Enhancing this nexus entry point will allow the Drall to arrive in droves and thereby overwhelm Humanity. Humanity, so ripe for the taking...

The spider like machine punches down through the stone and harnesses the dimensional energies and helps draw the Drall through the barrier. The top floor is the arrival chamber and each new Drall arrives encased in a crystal like Gem. The 2nd floor is living quarters for those taking care of the installation. (I'm not giving a lot of information on the Drall but suffice to say they are basically alien and rather more parasitic).

Side Notes: I learned a number of good lessons doing this. I'm still getting my workflow down right so I hit a few snags here and there. I can at least take what I draw and get it into the digital realm, there are a few things that are sticky but overall I think I'm getting that down. Feeling more comfortable using GIMP although I still thrash around an unbelievable amount of time figuring out what certain features do. Annoying really, because when you get 20 some layers going it starts to dog a bit. I think this might barely meet the challenge criteria but it's as close as I'm going to come on this one.

C&C welcome although there are still several things that are not quite what I was going for.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AnkhorNexus.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	2.97 MB 
ID:	27295  
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 07-22-2010 at 05:56 AM.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

looks cool... very artistic ... a little on the weak side on the challenge conditions though but very nice
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Yeah I know what you mean Tilt, I debated it but then I figured it wasn't all that far off and if you take away my explanation of what is going on I figured it was close enough that I could probably enter. I mean if you just looked at it, I think you could see there was something going on beneath the surface there. I figured if someone wanted to use it another way it would still work. I would not say it is typical but that can be a good thing as well.

I'm undecided on which version to go with so let me know what you think, the first one (as above) or the second one?

Views:	55 
Size:	2.97 MB 
ID:	27306   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ankhor Rock.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	3.08 MB 
ID:	27308  
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like the taller gumball dispenser, taller always looks more impressive.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Rofl Ascension, that's hilarious, it does kind of look like it would be a good gumball dispenser now that you mention it.

Guess I'll go with the taller version for now. I changed the coloring of the walls on the 3rd floor so it would have more of a glowing look.

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	59 
Size:	2.94 MB 
ID:	27320  
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 07-23-2010 at 02:43 AM. Reason: Added WIP

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected Felwynn's Avatar

The inside looks a little like the TARDIS^^.

It is an interesting take on the challenge... I think you might want to add something to it to give it a sense of scale... not a scale bar or anything like that, but maybe a ship or skiff or some kind of sailing vessel to let the reader know the magnitude of the immense waves in the area as well as the size of the ascendant spire.

fun stuff!
    Something witty and pithy

Good Idea mmmm, I will have to see if I can whip something up.

@Felwynn - I had to look TARDIS up, how embarrassing! I should have known that one but it's been a long time since I watched Dr. Who. Maybe it was there in the back of my mind when i started this. "Who" knows? hehe.

Ok, you ask for a ship, I attempt to give you one. If it sucks too much let me know and I can remove it but I agree there should be some sort of reference for size. Hopefully it helps.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Ankhor Rock Wship.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	3.36 MB 
ID:	27391  

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected Felwynn's Avatar

Your idea is very good, but take care, 'cause you drawing and textures are swallowed up in a big blur. Not very beautiful to see.

What software did you use for it? The Gimp?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast