Thread: Alternate Deep Suel - a Cavern Society

Map Alternate Deep Suel - a Cavern Society

So I played a high-level Deep Suelise in a short-lived campaign a while back, and came up with a map of the cavernous city that was Deep Suel... Of course, because I was mapping in three dimensions, I did two sections (transverse and... longitudinal?).

I'm not planning to revisit these, so they are (for all intents and purposes) finished maps - but I always welcome comments for future reference!

PD
    PS Yes, the scale is slightly off, and would result in 1000' long structures - which I suppose is neither impossible nor unlikely in a highly magical environment, but... still slightly off.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Deep Suel.jpg 
Views:	514 
Size:	204.0 KB 
ID:	1382   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Suel Map.jpg 
Views:	343 
Size:	416.8 KB 
ID:	1383   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Suel Transverse.jpg 
Views:	349 
Size:	229.4 KB 
ID:	1384  

These are lovely maps, but just from a practical point of view (which you're probably aware of), people might shy away from printing them out as it would seriously deplete black ink cartridges (and the paper tends to go all floppy as well with that much ink on it). So I guess they are just for web viewing. The black does really add a great atmosphere to the work though.

Nice work! I agree with ravs that I wouldn't print them out (except perhaps on the company printer ), but I really, really like the black with white lineowrk! A perfect mood for an underground series of structures! Bravo! These maps were such fun to peruse.

PS: What in the world is a "Deep Suelise"? I tried to Google it & got the oddest mixture of bridal wear to personal ads from someone named "Su Elise"...
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

"Deep Suelise" is my best guess at what you would call a native of a place called "Deep Suel".

Deep Suelian? Deep Suelist? Deep Sueli?

Long story short - GM took the "Deep Imaskari" civilization (Forgotten Realms - detailed in "Underdark"; A highly magical civilization that fled into a giant cavern and mystically sealed themselves off from any contact thousands of years ago) and transplanting it into ... Was it Greyhawk? I'm not recalling, but there is a campaign setting out there that has the ancient nation of Suel...

Had forgotten that it was two campaign backgrounds conflated, or I would have put that in the first post, too...

PD
    PS Yeah, it was meant for displaying on the laptop screen, not printing. That is a lot of black!

Very nice!

It is hard to depict 3D in maps like this. I particularly like how you showed tunnels passing behind/in front of tunnels in the transverse view.

-Rob A>