Thread: Two Hand drawn maps of mine (still in their 1st draft)

Map Two Hand drawn maps of mine (still in their 1st draft)

I decided to scan and upload these two maps i drew by hand and feel free to criticise and give me feedback, as soon as i get some hands on some decent graph paper i m going to redraw them but as for the moment these will have to surfice. These two maps are but two areaas of a much larger map i am working on.

For some reason an error occurred when trying to upload the second map so it can be found here

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/9307/ylfarmerk.jpg

Cheers,
    vii
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Obardemerk.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	913.9 KB 
ID:	27328  
    lyrânt wymn˙enstân sâ ekánmęylân.

φιλέλληνας

J.R.R. Tolkien & Sir Richard Burton = Legends.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Aside from the rivers on the second one these have some good legs...nice job.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

What's your oppinion with the rivers on the second one? Too over the top?
    lyrânt wymn˙enstân sâ ekánmęylân.

φιλέλληνας

J.R.R. Tolkien & Sir Richard Burton = Legends.

The rivers on the pic that sows up look just fine to me.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Professional Artist

No no, it's the rivers in the linked map (not the attached one) that are doing impossible things.

Rivers do not fork as they travel toward the sea. Smaller rivers will join up to form larger ones, but they won't split off after that. At least, not without some amount of inducement. For instance, take a look at this map of the Mississippi basin:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map%20of%20Mississippi%20River%20Basin%201900.jpg 
Views:	2461 
Size:	378.2 KB 
ID:	27388

Note that there are many rivers that all pour into the Mississippi, but it only reaches the sea at one point. While it's true that at that point it fans out into a delta, that's a special kind of formation that will only occur within 70 or so miles of the ocean. Usually much closer than that. There are a couple of threads that talk about how rivers behave; it's a very common error! Do a search for "Essential river guidelines" and "How to get your rivers in the right place." There are other threads scattered about, too, but they all say pretty much the same thing in the end, although each tends to have its own special geographical tangents, which do make for some fascinating reading.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

We should sticky that somewhere.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Well, there is one river that appears to be flowing up into a range of mountains on the one that's thumbnailed (on the western island). A couple quick edits would get that one flowing from the mountain and into the ocean.