Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anul - a work in progress

Wip Anul - a work in progress

I've started a new world, and am doing my first digital one. This world is to be a colony of Earth's in the far future, and after the collapse of a human galactic empire. Basically it is a post-apocalyptic far-future alien world. The stories taking place therein are those of the survivors (both human and not) in a world that was barely even understood when humans arrived and began populating it 2,000 years previously. '
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-3 copy.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	542.6 KB 
ID:	19756  

Hi-tech? Low-tech? Misunderstood-tech? Tech = Magic?
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut1981 View Post
    Hi-tech? Low-tech? Misunderstood-tech? Tech = Magic?
    The upper classes have some understanding of tech, and use it in their daily lives, while the lower classes are little more than Babylonian-level peasantry. Then there are techno-barbarians in the wastes, a group of priests that worship the technology, or rather a conduit through which an otherworldly intelligence communicates with them and drives their faith in machines and computers and gives prophecies of the events that will come upon its arrival, and extreme cases of technological advancement such as can be found in the super-rich (like energy weapons, holograms, translucent lcd screens, etc.).

Also, here is one section of the central continent that is complete (sort of).

Name:	world 6.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	623.5 KB 
ID:	19757  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks pretty good so far and extra kudos for getting the rivers right so far as well.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Really beautiful map style, man. I dig it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rajorke View Post
    The upper classes have some understanding of tech, and use it in their daily lives, while the lower classes are little more than Babylonian-level peasantry. Then there are techno-barbarians in the wastes, a group of priests that worship the technology, or rather a conduit through which an otherworldly intelligence communicates with them and drives their faith in machines and computers and gives prophecies of the events that will come upon its arrival, and extreme cases of technological advancement such as can be found in the super-rich (like energy weapons, holograms, translucent lcd screens, etc.).
    Reminds me vaguely of Orson Scott Card's Homecoming Saga. I like it.

Beautiful! It looks very promising. Also, intriguing world lore.

I'll keep my eye on this.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That's pretty gorgeous so far, and a cool setting to boot.

Was it intentional that one of the underwater/oceanic ridges south of your finished continent looks like a little man?

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    That's pretty gorgeous so far, and a cool setting to boot.

Was it intentional that one of the underwater/oceanic ridges south of your finished continent looks like a little man?
    Yes, that was intentional. I have an idea (a vague one) of what he/she/it is. I have quite a bit floating around in my head for the setting itself; it's all mostly chaotic right now. I'm trying to get it all written down in some fashion. My plan is to actually create a unique flora and fauna for the world as well. The scale of the map isn't global, my idea is that this is the main concentration of land mass on the world, and the majority of the rest is ocean with scattered volcanic islands.

Another idea I had for the world is that it originally had sparse vegetation and that humanity was in the process of terraforming the planet when the collapse occurred, so there are remnants of this process across the planet. These places are called SEED forests, and each have unique mutative affects upon the Earth species that live therein. There are some areas of indigenous vegetation, but it is widespread. Most of the world is desert. Also, humanity was not the only species of sentient creature upon the planet when the collapse occurred, so others are there also. The planet also had no indigenous sentient life, but there were barbaric species that had colonized the planet in the long ago past and also found themselves trapped. The nature of the collapse of the galactic civilization is unknown. The people of the planet only know, or knew, as this was a few thousand years ago, that one day contact just stopped.

Here is another sample of the progress. I am using a style that Tear (a member of these boards) used in creating the map, but I'm doing some variations of it.

Name:	world 9.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	884.9 KB 
ID:	19799  

Thanks for the comments, everyone. Here is a picture of the whole map's progress so far:

Name:	world 10.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	628.7 KB 
ID:	19801  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast