Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first real try with CC3/CD3. The City of Udenford.

Guild Novice

Wip My first real try with CC3/CD3. The City of Udenford.

Hi everyone. I've been lurking these forums for some months now, but never posting anything. Well, until now that is.

I recently bought CC3 and CD3 to try to make some maps for my ongoing RPG campaign set in a world very similar to the Warhammer fantasy universe.
    My first goal was to try to create the city of Udenford that currently is the campaigns main stage.

CC3 is perfect for a non photoshop guy like me, I used to work daily in Photoshop, but that was like 8 years ago in a diffrent life/work so I have forgotten most of my PS skills.

I'm not all done with this yet, some tweaking and additions still needed (Like beaches, more details in the surrounding area etc.)

Please feel free to comment as I would like to get some input on what can be made better, what not looking very good etc.
    Special thanks goes to Gandwarf for his tutorial on how to make those cliffs in CC3.

Well, enough with the typing, here's what Udenford looks like at the moment.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Udenford.jpg 
Views:	738 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	27338
    Last edited by Erkas357; 07-23-2010 at 08:37 AM.

Looks very good for a first CD3 map. The layout is very nice and i really like the hedges around the fields.
    But there are, of course, a few things that could be improved . The city walls have the same width as the standard building, reduce it. Also the dropshadow of the towers is too long IMO. Oh, and there are some weird house shapes, mostly near crossings. Try to avoid that. For me it is helpful to have an eye at the scale in the CC3 prompt. Also use the distance tool to get a feeling of proportions.
    Have some rep for your first map and welcome to the Guild!

Looks good Erkas, thanks for sharing. Katto's comments are spot on. The walls are the biggest concern I think, they are far too thick at the moment (as Katto says, they are as thick as a house).
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

I echo on the walls, it seems to be a lot of defence for a small town, otherwise its very nice. It does look a little blurry though, are you running it on a lower resolution or is just me be tired again?

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Had to keep coming back to look to find the things my mind was saying "something just seems...off".

It is good, great even, but I do agree with some of the comments above. The fields & trees and stuff seem to have a slight bluring effect on them that does not exist on the buildings. As to the shadows...the seem almost all uniform. When I do cities like that in CC3 I try and put the trees on one sheet, the hedges on another, the walls & towers on a third, and the buildings on a forth. I then apply different length shadows to them to give the illusion of different heights. You also maybe might want to 'harden' the shadow effect a bit so they show up more.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Guild Novice

Thanks everyone for your comments. Nice with some feedback. I'll post a new image as soon as I have had the time to make som changes.
    Plan is to check the shadow lenghts (Have most of the objects in diffrent sheets so it shouldn't be a problem), the blurring and of course the "massive walls" issues. Oh, and of course the odd shaped houses. Will post a new pic later in the week.

Guild Novice

Finally got some to continue with my first CD3 city.

Some of the things done are:
    * Added different shadow lengths for walls, towers, trees, hedges, buildings
    * Disabled most of the blur sheet effects that I had in the previous version.
    * Made the walls half as thick as before
    * Removed the odd shaped houses.
    * Added a simple border and a "places of interests" thingy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Udenford1280.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	682.3 KB 
ID:	27542

A very marked improvement. This Gets the NEON SEAL OF APPROVAL (TM)!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Wow, that's what I call improvement! Very good work, especially for a first map.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Yep, looks pretty darn good to me as well. If Neon approves then you're golden. Nice job.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast