Thread: New to mapping, geoghraphy old passion

Help New to mapping, geoghraphy old passion

Evening everyone
    Not much of a talker here, i'll keep it simple. Been browsing on Cartographer's Guild for some time, now-and-then, as it just feeds my passion for carto-geographical dreaming

Lately, ive been thinking of some rather big map (continent size) to fuel my ideas bout (maybe) RPG-ing on a consistent map, and ive come up with some rather different results. Started on two different maps, different styles too, and i feel like i could use some advice from you pros
    Which one style you think its more appropriate for a classical RPG (big-scale) fantasy thing, and id apreciate some tips on how to further procced on those maps. Both are work in progress, just outlines some large features (a bit more detailed in the second one). No naming yet, and the scale is rather tentative, i'm not sure yet what the best option will be.

Thank you in advance for the time you took to read my words, waiting for your suggestions
    Good night everyone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Work in progress Map A.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	27384   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Work in progress Map B.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	27383  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Welcome to The Guild. Which map is better is very subjective but aesthetically, the antique style brown and tan map looks great - do that but bigger and put some labels in there and you will have a real beauty. The color map looks technically sound but if it were me choosing then I'd choose the other.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

From a RPGing perspective I would say that both styles hold value. I would suggest that the sepia toned, much abused looking map is ideal as a player handout / purchase item. The second style I would use as the GM's "real world view" map. Discrepancies between the two being the opportunities for many a possible scenario.... perchance.
    I for one, as a player, would certainly enjoy getting my hands on a map such as first.

It all comes down to context !
    --
    "I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man"

My Finished Stuff
    ............. Some of my 3D Stuff (POVRay)

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Welcome aboard!

If I was forced to choose, I also like the parchment-style map. The other has great potential though. I like the hues you've got, and the ocean looks great. The yellow is what's killin me ... is it on its own layer that can be toned down? Also, the lakes (imho) would look better if they were the same color as the ocean, rather than the darker blue.

Thanks all for the feedback. Gidde you're so right, that yellow is the bane of the map, ive just haven't figured out a suitable colour to replace it, that comes in harmony with the others. Will try out another hue for the seas/lakes too. The map was done yesterday, after doing some reading about making heightmaps and shaded relief (kinda) in Photoshop, so i said 'lets try it out'. Using an overlay gradient for colourmap, so everything is editable yes.

Thing is, what i have in mind is making a rather accurate map for a generic 'world' i can flesh out later (im a RPG fun more in worlds than for real , so i can give it a lot of consistent detail and depth. Besides, my (not so realistical yet) plan is to also make a 3D version of it, to get a better feeling out of it and for future possible developements. The best solution i guess would be to get working on the first map's layout (continent size) and go both routes, a high detailed topo map (like the second one, only bigger - more detail), and on top of it, a 'historical', player's sepia old style map to match it, but more atmospheric...

Sorry bout my rude manners, haven't introduced myself. I am Radu from Bucharest, Romania. M.Phil. here (graduated in philosophy ), and also 2 years in the foreign languages - chinese University (old passion for chinese philosophy). For like 6 years now im making a living as a graphic designer, mostly printed media (flyers, booklets, advertising in general), hence my addiction with Photoshop. Hope to really get some ropes on drawing maps and making supporting stuff for fantasy in general. Cheers.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave