Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Technique for Hex Maps

Link Interesting Technique for Hex Maps

I came across this post at RPGnet that shows an interesting technique of combining hex mapping with a heightmap to render a sort of symbolic hightmap that looks like it has potential...

-Rob A>

Nice, but how do you apply the 3d effect?
    Google Groups for FGII Games:
    European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
    Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

I assume he is rendering it in a program like Bryce or POVRay.

-Rob A>

Now that's a clever idea. You could use it as a board for VTT maps! I might have a play with this as the heightmap is dead easy to do.

Thanks for the link, Rob!

That is a very interesting technique... If you smoothed the height map hexes with a gradient you could get a more gradual effect as well, but it would require more work. Definitely a neat idea.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller View Post
    That is a very interesting technique... If you smoothed the height map hexes with a gradient you could get a more gradual effect as well, but it would require more work. Definitely a neat idea.
    Just blur it! That would smooth it quite well.

(If anyone a a hex map, load it up here and I'll give it a go)

-Rob A>

Give this one a shot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map.png 
Views:	1771 
Size:	114.4 KB 
ID:	1396  
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Best I could do (It was a pain because the map you attached isn't exactly hex).

It is a quick and dirty heightfield that I generated by selecting by colour, expanding the selection by 6px then shrinking the selection by 5 px, then filling with a color.

Different blurs of the height field produce different results.

Ideally, the mosaic filter (with a hex tile should work, but I just couldn't get it to line up with the image...

-Rob A>
    Last edited by RobA; 04-27-2010 at 02:52 PM.

Neat! That was a map that someone posted at the RPTools forums for use with MapTool.

I'll be sure to direct them over here to show them what you've done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast