Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Style Experiment - big undertaking

Wip Style Experiments - big undertaking

Well, I have really enjoyed doing maps over the past six months, and I finished up a commission not long ago. I have been hoping to pick up more (to pay for my cigar and scotch habits), and one thing I noticed is that the client always wants a demo sample in their desired style--fair play. Since I'm new to this, I haven't built up a very big portfolio yet, so my idea here is that I am going to take a set geographical layout and do it in all the major styles I can think of: hopefully it will make me push myself and also function to land me more commissions.

So, this is the island country I've come up with. No name yet, just a general 'fantasy continent' shape. I am thinking it is roughly 800 miles across at the widest point. I'm thinking three different countries, I'd like to include as many geographic features as possible, given the scale. So, I'll have mountains, a marsh, volcanic islands, forests, and whatever else I can cram in without it looking unnatural (wish I could get tundra AND desert...maybe if it is just a demo is doesn't matter).

Hopefully I'll do the following styles:
    Tolkien ISO-ish 'drawn' look, Atlas, Satellite, 3D, Helecopter-view, Cartoony, Medieval, Pirate treasure map... if I think of more, I'll probably do those too.

Images: These are going to be the quick and dirty versions at first, but once I get most of the styles present, I'll go back and edit them until they actually represent something I'd be happy to have in my portfolio.

• Basic Continent Layout
    • Satellite "Google Earth" map
    • Forgotten Realms-inspired coloring/terrain

• Tolkien Inspired
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	continent shape.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	694.7 KB 
ID:	27396   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Satellite Style scale and labels.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	2.57 MB 
ID:	28766   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Forgotten Realms.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	28777   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tolkien.jpg 
Views:	598 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	28786  
    Last edited by RecklessEnthusiasm; 09-03-2010 at 12:52 AM.

Don't forget the ASCII style, dude.

No, thats really a major undertaking. I am looking forward to see your map(s) finished.

Quabbe

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Interesting and ambitious project - good luck!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

I've been thinking about something like this as well. Mainly just to keep on practicing techniques. I'm not sure I have the customer service skills necessary to take on commissions. I'll be interested to see how this goes.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The customer service thing takes some time to get used to. I was a complete hermit when we opened our glass business 13 years ago but within a few months I was a Chatty Cathy and dealing with people became easy. So the more ya do it the easier it gets...much like mapping.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Ahh, ASCII--how could I forget?! The 'ol Dwarven Fortress style.

Okay, have my rivers laid out, I think. If the river police are going to bust me for an oversight, best it happens early!

Name:	continent shape with rivers.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	903.3 KB 
ID:	27406  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Rivers look good so far. Now, on your way citizen Nothing to see here. Move along. Keep going. Heh heh.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thanks Ascension--it's always good to have an expert's input! Okay, first up is the Satellite-image style. The intention was to make this look like it was taken right out of Google Earth (only, of course, clearer and more consistent textures.) The names are, er... placeholders. Let the criticism for Phase One begin!

Name:	Satellite Style scale and labels.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	2.57 MB 
ID:	27465  

It certainly is ambitious!
    The "google view" is impressive.
    Might I comment that Slartybartfast might have something to add on the "crinkly edges" theme, down south?
    Also, of the places I have visited I'd say that you could take a fair amount of inspiration from New Zealand? For a small island (OK yah, bigger than GB where I am) it has a good variation of climates. You can watch parrots flapping about in the North and look at Fjords in the south. OK, so you can also look at parrots and fjords in the far south too - I saw Keas in the mountains near Milford Sound so - ok the world's only alpine parrot. Go figure.
    Anyway, yes, NZ, it has fjords, glaciers, volcanicky stuff, plains, mountain ranges, almost tropical forests, and here and there, even the occasional human!
    So, good luck!
    --
    "I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man"

My Finished Stuff
    ............. Some of my 3D Stuff (POVRay)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast