View Poll Results: Which of the three would you prefer?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • The one on the left.

4 11.43%
  • The one in the middle.

18 51.43%
  • The one on the right.

13 37.14%

Thread: Which style do you prefer for a battle tile?

Post Which style do you prefer for a battle tile?

Wow, I have already learned so much about cartography and have gotten some great scripts and tools from the users here. Thank you all.

On to my quandry: if you were a battle tile consumer, which of the following 3 would be your preference?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Battlemap sample.png 
Views:	75 
Size:	170.1 KB 
ID:	26876   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sample2.png 
Views:	692 
Size:	274.1 KB 
ID:	26877   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Battlemap 2.png 
Views:	413 
Size:	363.7 KB 
ID:	26878  
    Dolmen Creative - www.dolmen-studios.com
    Come face your destiny... Destiny6 Roleplaying Game

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I vote for the one on the right from a purely aesthetic point of view (I don't play) but I suspect that the shadow might make things not always line up properly so the middle might be best.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I chose the one in the center but I think I would prefer it with the lines of the left one. I don't care for the blaring white corners though (it may be that way to keep size down?). The first one is clean and totally functional but doesn't have much ambiance. The one on the right I can't decide if it's a raised walkway that you could fall off of or if it is wall texture being shown. Anyway, I just added this so you would know what I was thinking as I looked at them.

Cheers
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

You know, I never looked at it like that before. I guess it could look like a raised walkway, maybe I should add a bevel layer to the edges of the black. And the fade away is wall texture. And yes, the white is there to keep size down and to keep ink requirements low when printing out the tiles.
    Dolmen Creative - www.dolmen-studios.com
    Come face your destiny... Destiny6 Roleplaying Game

one thing to consider if these are going to be tiles that players assemble and rotate is the bevel, if you add a strong beveled edge, then rotate it and match it up to a non rotated tile, the bevels will be off.
    I spent most of my weekend working on something very similar to the ones above.

I like the middle one, though the white is a bit too bright, maybe a soft color there would be easier to look at.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The first one the pattern tile too much. The second one with RobA's script is much nicer, now the floor look good. The white areas are very white though although I know its for printing purposes. On the last one, I like the idea of a "rock" pattern in the walls, but the fade to white suddenly draws attention to the walls instead of the floor, so get rid of that ... and then work a bit more on the rock texture and you might have a winner. But as they stand now - nr. 2 is the winner
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

If the setting would be medieval-ish fantasy, then the middle one is best, because with its texture it looks more like cut stone blocks than floor tile. Along with the shading and clear borders between the floor and unused space (white) the look is appropriate and effective.

The left one just has the problem of the obvious repeating pattern, and the right one takes the focus away from the floor.
    "I AM THE LAW!"
    - Flaming Fist Mercenary

My Art / Photos / Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I totally agree with the comments above. The last one is pretty, but it's going to be a pain to get tiles that line up well using that method (I speak from pained experience). If you want your life to be ten times easier - stick with the middle style. I also feel the white is a bit brutal.

I like the last one the best myself. I don't think lining up the tiles will be to much of a problem as long as you get yourself a seamless stone texture that fits the tile space exactly (shouldn't be to hard, if you need one I can send you one of mine).

For the floor texture, I personally would prefer one mid-way between the first style and the other styles. Perhaps you could take the floor texture from one of the latter styles and try putting a very minor blur on it (like 1 pixel) to make it seem deeper in the image?

EDIT:
    I tiled out the last style piece and see that the texture is indeed almost seamless, and looks really good IMO. I also blurred the floor flagstone texture with a single pixel gaussian blur and I really like the look. The detail is still there, but the focus is fuzzed just enough to make it seem like background.
    Last edited by Wannabehero; 07-22-2010 at 10:22 AM.

Since my monitor displays two styles on the first line, and the last one on a second line, I'll be gambling that the bottom one is supposed to be 'the right' image. I do not have a wide-screen monitor.

Anyway, if the white area's where to be black or a similar dark colour, I think I'd go for the right. Alternatively, the middle one seems fine too... though I agree that the white colour is not doing any of the styles justice.