Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Town of Koppollex

Wip The Town of Koppollex

Hello, friends:

I am asking for your critiques, opinions, & help on the attached WIP map: the large, medieval town of Koppollex. Obviously, I have not yet labeled anything yet, but otherwise I think it's done.

This was created using the "RPG Citymap Generator" (posted by Naryt here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=629) and Photoshop. My aims were speed of creation and flexibility (so filters can be run on it).

I also wrote a tutorial I'd like to post soon, if you'd find it useful--but first I'd like to hear your ideas, specifically on possible improvements to the style. Thanks a lot!

Take care,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Koppollex_draft1.jpg 
Views:	381 
Size:	542.1 KB 
ID:	1397  
    Last edited by pyrandon; 11-06-2007 at 11:00 PM.
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Wow!

First let me say this has a very photorealistic look - almost like a picture of a model. Since you want critique, I'll give critique and this is all IMOO...

(As you are constantly raising the bar, these are getting picky, I'll admit)

-Overall the image is dark. This could be the old laptop I am using, however.
    -The roads look a bit too soft focussed (but that could be the intent if representing dirt).
    -Not too sure about the horizontal banding on all the roofs.
    -Most trees are much taller than single level dewllings. Their drop shadows should be more displaced.

um. Thats about it from me! SO how long does it take (as speed was one of your intents)?

-Rob A>

Very, very nice. Particularly if done at speed. (I too would like to know what 'at speed' means in real numbers!). I was trying to do much the same thing but by importing the program into a vector drawing package, but it had problems reading the roads as part of the buildings and then something shiney distracted me away.

Here are my thoughts / suggestions:

1. The map is dark (it's not your laptop, Rob) but I think that works if you want a really broody, menacing atmosphere. In these colours this is a town I wouldn't want to visit. It has the sickly scent of death about it.

2. I would love to know how you got that hint of gableling on the rooftops. I'm not mad on the bands either, I think that's because they are all oriented horizontally even though the buildings themselves are oriented in different positions, so it looks too much like a fill.

3. The River looks almost handpainted - how did you do that?

4. I'm not overly keen on the vegetation - it looks just a bit too photoshopped for me (but still v.beautiful), however I expect that people who don't spend their days playing with heightmaps etc would say - 'wow that's really cool!' I wonder what it would look like if you tried a more spherical texture for the trees rather than the crumply one you currently have?

Beautifully done, Don!

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    ...and then something shiney ...

LOOK - a distraction!

-Rob A>

This map is great looking as it is!!!

The things that I think could be improved are pretty much what the others said...

1. A little lighter in color.

2. The patterns on the roof don't quite look right.

I love the river though, one of the nicest that I have seen, and the elevations look good.

WOW!

My ONLY "complaint" is the banding on the rooves as previously mentioned.

OT

BTW, in case you've missed it in my barage of Wealth issues (so sorry about that) Gereth, Yule and the peddlers just left Piercy. I should be able to get the journal updated through Faellstaf and possibly even to Koppollex today.
    Innkeeper at the Darkwood Inn. The Foul Punster of the Cartographers' Guild!

Better role playing than dragon slaying!

You know I have to be more critical with your work than others right?

First off, beautiful map! For being a speed map, it is exceptional.

Now for the nit picks:
    • I do not like the banding on the roofs at all.
    • The roads appear to be convex. They should be flatter looking, especially if they are well used, and definitely "lower" looking than the land around them.
    • Shadows are too uniform in their cast distance. I would suggest putting the objects on different layers and then using non-global lights to give them different shadow lengths.
    • I think the tree tops are too flat looking.
    • For the river, take a look at this map: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=38.817099,-120.933391&spn=0.012021,0.016823&t=k&z=16&om=1
      That is a location in the foothills where there are some rapids. I like the coloration of the water as it changes in depth and speed. Also note the shoreline's vegetation. You'll have a lot more right next to the water unless it has been cleared.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller View Post
    [*] The roads appear to be convex. They should be flatter looking, especially if they are well used, and definitely "lower" looking than the land around them.
    I was thinking that too, but thinking that (modern) roads are often crowned up to drain made me dismiss that comment.

Probably should U shaped on foot trails and UU shaped/ruted on cart/wagon trails.

-Rob A>

They were actually crowned going way back in history, but at the scale we are looking at and the angle, they shouldn't appear convex which was the reason for the statement. If rutes and such can be added that would be cool as well.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

I like it. I generally agree with the other posts above, especially the roofs. I've done this too on my maps http://homepage.ntlworld.com/adrian....ps/Farhill.jpg and it always looks a bit naff.

I look forward to your tutorial...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast