Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Stormpunk world of Rhune

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Default The Stormpunk world of Rhune

Jaye Sonia has finally lifted the veil on Rhune: Dawn of Twilight, which means that I can show off the map I did for him!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JonRobertsMapWebRes.jpg 
Views:	1341 
Size:	707.4 KB 
ID:	27466

This was my first shot at a full blown world map in a more illustrative style. I’m also usually less organised with my decorations such as the compass and the border. In this case the world (nordic steampunk) needed a little something. With the place of the world tree in norse myth, and a culture rich with decorative touches, a knotwork border and a tree compass seemed to fit in nicely.

Gorgeous - I really like the compass that was a great touch. Those mountains look nice and buttery, made me want to eat them

Side note, do you guys who do these knot-work borders get them from somewhere or do you actually do a segment by hand and then splice it all together? Reason being I would like to do one of them someday but haven't had the drive yet to actually draw one out.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Thanks

I looked around the net for some knotwrok for inspiration, then drew a segment by hand. Then it's a matter of copy and paste to put one large section together. I did the line work first. Then I did a layer with colour. I made sure to colour a large section by hand and then copied and pasted that. By doing a large section you remove a lot of the obvious repeating. Also, the colour layer was an overlay layer - so it still picked up a lot of the background texture which also breaks up the repeating. Then the same for a light and shade layer to give it some body. It takes a little longer to do each layer separately, but it really helps to integrate it into the map.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Looks awesome, torstan! I really love the steppes in the southern continent.

Guild Apprentice

hell, just looking at this map makes me want to experience the game setting. beautifully done!!!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I could look at this all day; the colors, the things I can learn, the lil buildings. Great job, bro.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

Absolutely beautiful map. Glad you were allowed to share the image with us.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Beautiful map Torstan. It reminds me a bit of some of the maps Djekspek made. It's the illustrative style I guess. The different symbols you created for the cities and holds look gorgeous.
    Just south of the Narwood it looks like the trees are more sparse. Is that because of logging or something?
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Yep, it's great to have this up. I did this back in February I think - or possibly even earlier - and I've been itching to be able to show it since then.

The lighter forest south of the Narwood is where the trees thin out on the edge of an icy swamp. It's a distinctly blasted moor with particular terrain.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast