Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suicidal Ice pits

Map Suicidal Ice pits

You rpg party gets here excaping from a great enemy (a polar bear maybe) and they try to find a solution to their situation, but in the end the only thing they can do is climbing down or simply falling in one of these freezing holes. The visual is very close to the ground...can we define it "a map"?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RandocaveIce3.JPG 
Views:	279 
Size:	303.4 KB 
ID:	21175  

my friends tell me that they don't understand this image visually! is it true?

You say it's very close to the ground as a viewpoint, but I see it as almost directly overheadthe central ice spire. Assuming that I am at all reading it correctly.

The image is difficult to track as 3D it because of the colors used. At low res it looked like dark blue and black splotches on a lighter background; at higher resolution I could see the 3D effect, but only after a few seconds and I lose it again if I rotate the image. If it's a CG image I recommend putting brown through yellow contour lines with altitude numbers (if possible and with brown=low and yellow=high) to help with understanding the rather convoluted shapes.

If I were standing on that white portion and needing to cross to one of the outer edges I'd say I was probably screwed. I get the 3d effect, it's like looking through a sheet of ice..or is it a series of holes....if they are confused then just tell them: "Well, you might be screwed", LOL.

To me it looks like looking down the fibers of a bone if it were clear like ice but I only really see it if I zoom in.

It is also possible that I see something entirely different from what is there as I tend to do that a lot. I think it's the artist in me.

As far as a map goes, if you can use this to keep track of where someone is then I'd say it's a map. If nobody else can read it, then it's a coded/secret map. How fun is it to hand the players a key to their problems only they can't figure it out quite yet. Of course, if in the end they still don't get it, you might have missed the mark.

I would also just add that on first look it just seems like an odd watercolor painting or something.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I thought it was a Rorschach test and saw happy bunnies and dancing girls. Not sure what to make of it without some refinement.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

black = holes

Guild Journeyer

I cannot figure out what I'm looking at whatsoever sorry. :S

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

I agree with Ascension and Aegeri. To me it looks like patches of black and white and other colours.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

didn't get until I zoomed in - then I see the big black holes - but without a scale its hard to see how big they are supposed to be... but they look cool
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Blog Entries

Zoomed out I totally didnt get it. Zoomed in I get it pretty easily and I agree with Waldronate. If you had something to mentally scale it with then it becomes obvious. I think some rope bridges or cavern sides steps or paths like in Moria from the LotR film would enhance the effect enormously. BTW what did you create it with ? It looks like one of those 3D fractal apps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast