Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LOTRO Styled Maps: Bay Area & Anderson Valley

Guild Novice

Default LOTRO Styled Maps: Bay Area & Anderson Valley

Heya Cartographers' Guild,

I haven't posted here in a while as unfortunately I haven't been doing many maps. Inspiration struck last night though and I produced these two maps that I thought I'd share with you all. Both maps are made in the style of a map from Lord of the Rings Online, and major credit goes to the artist who originally made those. While most aspects of my maps are drawn by myself, to cut down drawing every single tree, mountain or what have you I have borrowed assets as well. The maps are of real locations in California, one is the SF Bay Area and the other is Anderson Valley in Mendocino County.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	andersonvalley.jpg 
Views:	4004 
Size:	1,016.5 KB 
ID:	25727
    Anderson Valley

Name:	bayarea.jpg 
Views:	2425 
Size:	943.0 KB 
ID:	25723
    San Francisco Bay Area

Thanks!

Now this sort of thing could be very sell-able! Inkjet print onto 11x14 art stock. On consignment at tourist shops? You'd probably need to make them a little less 'computery' though.

I saw tourists in Sausilito paying up to $350 for prints of hand drawn maps of the bay area.

In fact LOTR style maps of most tourist destinations would probably sell in tourist shops. England and New Zealand especially.
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

Guild Novice

Map

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    That is really cool!! Beautiful maps too!
    Thanks a lot Very fun to make, I'll have to sit down and actually draw out everything at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Aval Penworth View Post
    Now this sort of thing could be very sell-able! Inkjet print onto 11x14 art stock. On consignment at tourist shops? You'd probably need to make them a little less 'computery' though.

I saw tourists in Sausilito paying up to $350 for prints of hand drawn maps of the bay area.

In fact LOTR style maps of most tourist destinations would probably sell in tourist shops. England and New Zealand especially.
    Never even thought of that. I live near Mendocino where I see people buying some hand drawn maps of the coast all the time too. I would probably sell them but the imagery is probably copyrighted by Turbine. I doubt they'd ever find out but I like Turbine so I'd probably just stick to selling anything I made fully.

Also just finished up Marin County this afternoon, I plan on eventually connecting all of these areas. Only Sonoma County left to connect Anderson Valley to the Bay Area

Name:	marin.jpg 
Views:	952 
Size:	876.9 KB 
ID:	25734

So, does this make Orange County Mordor? :)

Having moved here recently, I might be convinced to purchase such a map of California, particularly as a poster print a la deviantArt.

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by ROU Xenophobe View Post
    So, does this make Orange County Mordor?
    Truth be told, I was thinking of either doing LA or Detroit in that kind of style

Quote Originally Posted by Natai View Post
    Having moved here recently, I might be convinced to purchase such a map of California, particularly as a poster print a la deviantArt.
    I've been uploading these to DeviantArt as well as compiling a large version of all of them. When I finish all of Northern California I'll probably make it a print.

Also I made Sonoma County last night by a friend's request. I think I'm going to hold off bumping this thread again until I finish an entire region though

Name:	sonoma.jpg 
Views:	2318 
Size:	886.8 KB 
ID:	25749

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I live in San Mateo, and I'm incredibly offended that my city is not labelled. Just kidding.

These are most excellent.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

really nice... been thinking of doing some real world maps also, but in fantasy style like you - cause normal mapping styles you can get everywhere....
    and as Aval said they'd fit nice in a tourists shopping spree ... or locals for that sake. Maybe I should start on Denmark
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast