Thread: WIP - Malos World Map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip WIP - Malos World Map

Been working on this over the weekend in between studying for my Art History test. I currently have three different Fantasy stories that I'm writing/building. Malos is the least mind-bending of them and is much closer to 'classic fantasy'. There's twenty-five countries, at about Renaissance-era technology in most of them. Currently one of the larger countries is in the midst of a Civil War.

Currently working on river placement, which I almost forgot to do. Also thinking on how to do icecaps and snowlines...I'll probably break this down into four sections for more detailed things after I'm done with that, with where the countries go, cities, etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MAP.jpg 
Views:	520 
Size:	935.3 KB 
ID:	27496  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

You've got some lovely texturing on the land but the mtns look plateaued in the fat parts. It looks like you used the new tut by Flawedspirit but I would recommend lowering the opacity on the white swashes to at least 50% before doing the lighting effects, maybe set the blend mode to soft light as well. Oh, and also make sure that you use an airbrush tip and not a soft round tip when putting those swashes in...the airbrush tips are mush more subtle around the edges while the soft rounds are more noticeable and the hard rounds are even more so. The color scheme looks pretty good too except for the ocean, with the gorgeous greens you might want something lighter in the ocean (it's also very pixellated, I'm assuming from over-enlarging a pattern overlay). All in all it's pretty good but let's get those mtns fixed before we tweak the ocean.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Redid the mountains as per your suggestions. I was a dork and deleted layers so I had to do it over from the beginning. Less plateaus, more skinny mountainy looking formations now.

Name:	MAP10.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	1,020.0 KB 
ID:	27541  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Yeah, those things have some real depth to them, nice.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

The mountains look much better shape wise, can you tone down the white hilite? It's a little too much. I also was wondering about the tan/khaki areas, are they deserts? It just seems odd to me that they are all ringed in the green color.

Okay, took of the white highlights on the mountains and added in some rivers and lakes. Also took off the black outline bordering the land.

Name:	MALOSwrivers.jpg 
Views:	406 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	27548  

Blog Entries

Looks good to me. Nice work.

Looks a bit like Azeroth and Kalimdor. I like it.

Love that little oasis you have going on in the desert area!
    Una Salus Victius.

Professional Artist

All of a sudden I feel like playing Final Fantasy.