Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Online Gaming Map Project

Blog Entries

Well, just a mo Jax...

Cu11, if I got you this map on left at this detail on right (i.e. 4K x 3K total) would that be ok ? Because this is the Blue Marble map from NASA which is public domain and not copyright (or if not its a free to use map anyway). I.e. you dont get to own the map but you can use it for free in your app ? Im not sure what it is you want me to do to *a* map to make it more like this one as it stands. You can edit the map and make the edits of it copyright but as far as I can tell your after real Egypt in real satellite colors... so is this ok ?

Edit: see http://visibleearth.nasa.gov/view_se...ategoryID=2363 and click on Terms of use, note

"For all non-private uses, NASA's Terms Of Use are as follows:

1. The imagery is free of licensing fees
    2. NASA requires that they be provided a credit as the owners of the imagery

Visible Earth Addendum

Beyond the NASA Terms, the Visible Earth team requests, but does not require:

1. The Visible Earth be provided a credit as the location that the imagery was found at
    2. A URL be provided, either to the Visible Earth (http://visibleearth.nasa.gov/) or to the page providing the link to the used image.
    EDIT 2: Also, I am using the 52K x 26K image. There was released an even higher res version and we linked to that one here too: Check out.
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...rble-downloads

i.e, Download (RIGHT CLICK SAVE AS) this link below. NOTE - DO NOT CLICK ON IT - its too big for a browser. Note, this one is CC-BY licensed so again, a very liberal license to use and one you can make your game with and still sell it.
    http://ueod-globe.net/globe/TrueMarb...0x21600.E2.png
    Last edited by Redrobes; 08-02-2010 at 12:19 PM.

Guild Apprentice

A plain colour with a texture of sand will do me - doesn't need to be many shades of sand - photo realism might be "too" real plus its too hard to get it too realistic when the users won't notice

EDIT: i could use that as the initial first zoom image then the next zooms would need to be created (north and south). The concern with it - is the image doesn't look like part of a game due to how strong the realism is.
    Last edited by cu11; 08-02-2010 at 12:27 PM.

Blog Entries

If your getting updates via email, your a few posts behind. Regarding post #11 is this ok ?

Guild Apprentice

If u would like i can make a demo page to show you how it would look on my site so you can see how it will be applied..

Regarding post 11 (sorry im behind) - the photos of them are too realistic they would not look right with the game colours, a plain colour of sand for the whole country will probably suit more with a texture layer style or something to make it look like sand...

Blog Entries

Ok no worries, ill get some DEM data then. Jax, if you want to post some sandy textured tiles then that would be way cool I have some sand but its more from a beach. I think it will probably be ok but if you have some good shots then it would be great to see some. Dont sweat it tho cos I think I have it covered if not.

If you would like to post a demo page then that would be cool and quite useful.

Guild Apprentice

Whilst you do that ill make a template on my site so you can see how it looks - ill edit this when i've done it with the link.

http://tinyurl.com/353b9ud

You need to sign up and have a Game Name to see the page (dont need to activate your email) - but once you have and you are in the game edit the php url to /map.php this will take you to the preview page.

I applied the satellite image for demonstration purposes..and as you can probably see it just looks too real for the rest of the game.

EDIT: If you let me know your gamer name i can message you the map link.
    Last edited by cu11; 08-02-2010 at 03:54 PM.

I can get some better shots Thursday but let me know if these are along the right lines. I have not done much texture creating so this is a learning process for me. Let me know what I can do to make these better in future. I already see that I need to make sure there are no stray bits of dirt or grass on the surface....go figure.

Anyway, here are some shots I took of some Sandstone I saw today as well as one of the tiles used on the floor of my house (image5) since it is similar to the map images as well. Like I said, if this type of thing will work I can get some better images Thursday. Unless you like the house tile because that I can work on right now

With just a little color tweaking it matches pretty closely the colors in the satellite photos I think. Not sure if the quality is what we need though.

Edit: Btw, I didn't realize my stupid camera (<--operator really) was set to post date/time. I turned it off for the last one but I can get more Sandstone easily.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sandstone1.JPG 
Views:	182 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	27667   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sandstone2.JPG 
Views:	109 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	27668   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sandstone3.JPG 
Views:	184 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	27666   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sandstone4.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	27665   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tile1.JPG 
Views:	216 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	27669  

“When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Blog Entries

Thats fine. Great actually. Ill try to use these as the sand texture. I downloaded the world as a DEM and writing a little prog to extract it now. 3Gb file - nice ! And thats the low res one....

Blog Entries

Got the DEM now so it should be pretty easy from here...

That's cool I like the fact that it has the terrain showing. I was just dorking around using my floor tile, which I get a kick out of, and I created this by tracing, selecting, hand painting and tweaking the colors. I'm not trying to get in your way here Redrobes, I just wanted to see what I could do with it. I don't know what Cu is after as far as looks go although he did say the satellite was too realistic. I spent about an hour fiddling around with this. I'm looking forward to seeing what comes of the process you are taking.

Done with my floor tile as the base:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Egypt.jpg 
Views:	4212 
Size:	3.71 MB 
ID:	27682  
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast